Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
Looking at a 6-8 person hot tub and a potential placement on our front porch. The total weight with water and people is in the roughly 5K lb range. The porch is an elevated concrete over corrugated steel and spans about 12' out from the house. The side of the slab where it adjoins to the house is sitting on a 12" (1/2") I beam. The slab is roughly 6" thick and the steel webbing height is in the 2 1/2" range. Everyone has said this place is built like a brick shiznit house, but I don't want the hot tub in my basement either and don't have the construction or engineering background to know for sure. I feel like it would be ok..... but there are smarter people on here. Good idea or bad idea?

Attachments

• concrete_slab.jpg
    concrete_slab.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 275
   / Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #2  
Obviously the correct answer is consult an engineer but given the size of that beam, the slab thickness and the fairly large footprint of the hot tube it will be fine IMO. Do you know how much rebar is in the slab?

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated
I do not know, but when the original owner/builder met with me after purchasing he said the house itself is rated to be hit by a Cessna-sized plane given the amount of rebar in the exterior walls (poured/insulated/rebar). Even if that is tongue in cheek, I would assume he didn't skimp on the porch. It is hard to get answers because most of the people that look at the house just shake their head and wonder what the guy was thinking. I know that isn't an accurate answer. Prior owner was an engineer by the way.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #4  
I'm not an engineer but have seen a few odd ones.

Like hard wood flooring on double layers of 3/4 ply glued/screwed on pre fab floor joists that were 12 inches apart. (that is, like 9/10 inch gap between joist tops)
(I asked the 'architect' if he wanted to park a buss on the flooring.)
Owner asked what was the difference, my reply was about $3000. of plywood!
(We did single ply.)

Another that was supposedly 'engineered' ---double hot tub over a kitchen with no load bearing transfer, all was cantilevered--we added a new load bearing post.

New house with multi sloped/faced roofing all converging in a central area (and in heavy snow zone) BUT no proper load transfer---again cantilevered---under no load I used a 12 ft straight edge t demonstrate that there already was a 1,5" dip in the floor.
LOL, a quick load bearing post found its way into being.
(However there was no 'load pad' even poured for a such post)

Same project as above, while I was not involved with flooring but since the floor guy walked off* I was asked if I could finish it up B4 Xmas.
Sure, about a mere 3-4 hrs will do it I said.
Well, we had to evacuate the house as the staples penetrated the propane line that was attached to underside of the subfloor.

*actually could barely walk as he was so 'high' on something!

That last job was such a disaster that I wonder if it is still standing.
I could almost write a book on that one. My take is they always went to the lowest bidder and never checked references. Builder/owners were both accountants and certainly not manual.
Furring was all wrong and the plasterers scrapped a dump truck load of gyprock cut offs.
Furring for siding was oriented the wrong way at all corners, foundation was multi stepped so we had to create a a reference in order to have the multiple surfaces of siding align properly.
Chimney so high that they installed the structure with a noticeable twist in it.

Nope, not everybody should DIY such projects.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #5  
I'm not an engineer but have seen a few odd ones.

Like hard wood flooring on double layers of 3/4 ply glued/screwed on pre fab floor joists that were 12 inches apart. (that is, like 9/10 inch gap between joist tops)
(I asked the 'architect' if he wanted to park a buss on the flooring.)
Owner asked what was the difference, my reply was about $3000. of plywood!
(We did single ply.)

Another that was supposedly 'engineered' ---double hot tub over a kitchen with no load bearing transfer, all was cantilevered--we added a new load bearing post.

New house with multi sloped/faced roofing all converging in a central area (and in heavy snow zone) BUT no proper load transfer---again cantilevered---under no load I used a 12 ft straight edge t demonstrate that there already was a 1,5" dip in the floor.
LOL, a quick load bearing post found its way into being.
(However there was no 'load pad' even poured for a such post)

Same project as above, while I was not involved with flooring but since the floor guy walked off* I was asked if I could finish it up B4 Xmas.
Sure, about a mere 3-4 hrs will do it I said.
Well, we had to evacuate the house as the staples penetrated the propane line that was attached to underside of the subfloor.

*actually could barely walk as he was so 'high' on something!

That last job was such a disaster that I wonder if it is still standing.
I could almost write a book on that one. My take is they always went to the lowest bidder and never checked references. Builder/owners were both accountants and certainly not manual.
Furring was all wrong and the plasterers scrapped a dump truck load of gyprock cut offs.
Furring for siding was oriented the wrong way at all corners, foundation was multi stepped so we had to create a a reference in order to have the multiple surfaces of siding align properly.
Chimney so high that they installed the structure with a noticeable twist in it.

Nope, not everybody should DIY such projects.

I drove my 10,000 pound excavator on house floor that wasn’t designed for such. It held it surprisingly well.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #6  
I drove my 10,000 pound excavator on house floor that wasn’t designed for such. It held it surprisingly well.
An excavator on tracks is kind of like a man walking on snowshoes, low PSI's.
I have even seen extra wide tracks for swamp usage.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #7  
Looking at a 6-8 person hot tub and a potential placement on our front porch. The total weight with water and people is in the roughly 5K lb range. The porch is an elevated concrete over corrugated steel and spans about 12' out from the house. The side of the slab where it adjoins to the house is sitting on a 12" (1/2") I beam. The slab is roughly 6" thick and the steel webbing height is in the 2 1/2" range. Everyone has said this place is built like a brick shiznit house, but I don't want the hot tub in my basement either and don't have the construction or engineering background to know for sure. I feel like it would be ok..... but there are smarter people on here. Good idea or bad idea?
What is the span of the steel beam
is steel beam also supporting your walls and house floor

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #9  
Well your Honour "Everyone has said this place is built like a brick shiznit house" :)
That won't go down well in a court of law :)

Well your Honour "Here is an Engineers report authorising the installation of the hot tub"
That is your get out of jail free card :)

Mike