Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated
Thanks Dodgeman. I have put the numbers out to an engineer/builder at this time as well. Hopefully, he can run the numbers and tell me if it is good or if I should start considering plan B.

Apparently, the engineer said that based on the drawings it would be just fine. So now I need to find a hot tub that won't require my left kidney to purchase. Looked at Jacuzzi so far as that was my closest dealer.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #23  
A couple of years ago I phoned an engineer to ask for an approximate cost to look at a minor item on my shop before getting the plans approved. He told me his minimum charge for placing his stamp on anything was $2000.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #24  
A couple of years ago I phoned an engineer to ask for an approximate cost to look at a minor item on my shop before getting the plans approved. He told me his minimum charge for placing his stamp on anything was $2000.

$2000 for a few hours work seems outrageous, but remember, he’s not just selling his time, he’s also selling his liability. That’s what you really want to buy from him, that is, transfer to him, not so much buy his time. You want him to say it’s ok and be on the hook. Its not worth the risk for him to take a job for a hundred bucks that could cost him a whole lot more if something goes unexpected.

Also remember the old fable about the retired mechanic who gets called back into the factory to diagnose a production line that quit working. He putters for little while, then takes out his chalk and writes an “x” on the machine identifying where the faulty part is.
He then sends the company a $10,000.34 bill. Company says “What! How do you justify that when you only wrote a single “X”?” The old guy says “Well, 34 cents for the chalk materials to write the “X”, and $10,000 for knowing where to write it.”

…or something like that.

Last edited:
I was very fortunate that a family member happens to work closely with a builder/engineer who builds owns a company that can design/build pretty much anything when it comes to buildings. It probably did save me a ton of money which I'm very happy about.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #27  
Having worked at an engineering firm for 37 years and with some structural engineers, a lot of them wouldn’t want to mess with a job like that. If they did, they would qualify there results. You know, assuming the original plans were what was built, assuming there is no corrosion in the rebar, assuming the concrete is really 3000 psi etc. From a calculation stand point I think it’s a fairly simple problem. Enjoy the hot tub!

Follow-up: Ran all the numbers by the engineer again for the final tub specs since we ended up with a 400-gallon hot tub. Even after being given the green light, I was nervous, but it has been filled and tested. About $1K to wire it up per specs for a 60 amp/240 line so we can use both pumps and heat at the same time if needed. Took about 6+ months which seems the new norm around here, or at least for hot tubs and tractor implements.

Attachments

• htporch.jpg
    htporch.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 80
   / Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #29  
Follow-up: Ran all the numbers by the engineer again for the final tub specs since we ended up with a 400-gallon hot tub.
Congrats.

I have been to Rochester a few times for engg conferences, and demos at RIT. I know it gets cold there.

You said your ICF house uses 12" Reward blocks. Is it ICF all the way up? My house uses 8" ICF, 30-feet in total height, including 14' retaining wall in the rear. Built in the 90s. Fantastic energy performance.

/ Hot Tub vs. Concrete over Corrugated #30  
Four hundred gallons of water is about 3200#. Add say 800# for the tub or 4000# total. The pic of the tub looks to be about 8’x8’ or 64 SF. That results in about 64# per SF of bearing area. That is not much of a load.

A party with a bunch of people on that deck could exceed that.