Hour Meter

/ Hour Meter #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Do sellers/dealers actually expect people to believe that a 10+ year old tractor only has 300-600 hours, or that a 40+ year old tractor only has 800-1000 hours? I'm sure it's within the realm of possibility, although I believe it would very unlikely, depending on the circumstances.

/ Hour Meter #2  
A lot of units only see light usage. My 14 year old tractor only has 800 hours on it. Its only used for mowing except for a few years of winter snowplowing. O.K., it also gets some backhoe hours and some other dirt moving.

/ Hour Meter #3  
My tractor has 484 hours on it and it has been in service 14.5 years. I could walk a 1/4 mile and touch another tractor that I bet has less hours per year than mine. I use it when I need to. Sometimes I make work but for folks like me that have mini ranches (9.3 acres), there isn't a need for me to run more than I do. Now if I never mowed down the road or graded the gravel road then I would have even less hours. 2 hours today moving the manure pile. I do that 3-4 times a year and some mowing. Not hard to rack up 34 hours a year.

/ Hour Meter #4  
Bought a 1964 era IH424 tractor and it had 1800 hours on it. It looked it too. You can get pretty at spotting the real deal if you know what to look for. That works out to be less than 50 hours a year so it wasn't used much. If it had had power steering and had been a diesel I would have kept it. But I traded it in on my Kubota. I use my Kubota a lot more than the IH because it has 4WD and a FEL and I put less than 100 hours a year on it.:thumbsup:

/ Hour Meter #5  
Do sellers/dealers actually expect people to believe that a 10+ year old tractor only has 300-600 hours, or that a 40+ year old tractor only has 800-1000 hours? I'm sure it's within the realm of possibility, although I believe it would very unlikely, depending on the circumstances.

And what is an "hour"? My B7610 can run below PTO (2,000rpm?) speed and not rack up the hours as an hour passes. And even using my backhoe I rarely run it full out.

/ Hour Meter #6  
I bought a John Deere 2030 in 2001 with 2,600 hours on it... And it was made in 1974. It had been used for moving chicken litter and kept inside. It had beautiful new-looking paint and very little wear on much of anything. Indeed, my tractor farming neighbors said it had been barely broken in. I traded it in, for almost what I paid for it, two weeks ago on a CUT. I'm approaching 70 and it was just too hard to get on it - and my wife could not drive it at all. But it was a good tractor in great shape.

/ Hour Meter #7  
a mechanical hour meter is not going to count idle hours at the same "rate" it counts rated operating speed hours. it only counts an hour correctly at rated operating speed. my tractor only shows 150ish hours, but in reality it probably has 500+

/ Hour Meter #8  
Guess I could believe it.

I own some land and need a tractor to maintain it but still use it just about 20 hours per year. If I bought a brand new tractor after 10 years it would only have 200 hours on it. I am not the only one in this position, you need a tractor but it sees limited use.

I recently bought a 1999 that had 134 hours on it. It came from someone who was in a postion like mine except that he sold his land before he sold the tractor so then he put even less hours on it. You can tell by looking that the hour meter is pretty close when the tractor looks like new.

/ Hour Meter #9  

While not "common", it's not out of the realm of possibility.....I have a 1987 Deere 2755 sitting in my shop right now that I bought to re-sell. I've decided to keep it for a while, putting it on the mowing crew this year. It has 1140 documented hours (Came from a bourbon distillery, used to move snow and some limited mowing work. Came with a VERY detailed maintenance and use log book.) Owners decided to replace it with a cab tractor after 25 years.

Look at pedals (ie brake, clutch, ect) They'll almost always show wear after a lot of hours. If low hours showing and a lot of wear on pedals, expect the hours to be inaccurate. No wear showing, low hours just may be the real deal!

/ Hour Meter
While not "common", it's not out of the realm of possibility.....I have a 1987 Deere 2755 sitting in my shop right now that I bought to re-sell. I've decided to keep it for a while, putting it on the mowing crew this year. It has 1140 documented hours (Came from a bourbon distillery, used to move snow and some limited mowing work. Came with a VERY detailed maintenance and use log book.) Owners decided to replace it with a cab tractor after 25 years.

I agree that it's entirely possible for an older tractor to have very low hours. It's just that I've developed a habit of looking at used tractor ad's and couldn't help but notice that a lot of them (almost too many) seemed to have very low hours for their age.

Being one who is somewhat skeptical of anything which is offered for sale, I seldom trust anything a seller/dealer has to say, unless they have proof. Knowing that an hour meter is a relatively simple mechanical device, I generally don't consider it trustworthy because of the possibility for it to be tampered with, disconnected, or replaced.

Look at pedals (ie brake, clutch, ect) They'll almost always show wear after a lot of hours. If low hours showing and a lot of wear on pedals, expect the hours to be inaccurate. No wear showing, low hours just may be the real deal!

Knowing what to look for is very helpful. I never thought to look at the pedals, which is a great idea because they aren't likely to be replaced like other components such as leaking seals. Even if the pedals were painted, excessive wear would probably still be evident. Are there other tell-tale signs to look for?