House with a basement

/ House with a basement #81  
The point is, every homeowner (or would-be homeowner) is different. What you value, somebody else may not. That's why they build houses with basements, crawlspaces, or on slabs. They all suit different purposes and circumstances.
Which is why i said " to each his own"

The OP asked for opinions on walk out basements.

/ House with a basement #82  
I am for basements and if it can be a walkout that's even better, in this area footers have to be a minimum of48 inches.
Also I want a basement for maintence, a crawl space sucks for getting into for electrical, heating, plumbing or any reason,
I don't even desire a finished basement just the space for utilities and future maintenance. Such as larger pressure tanks, water softeners, water filters, central vacuums.
A slab house on ground that doesn't move or settle may be cheaper where it can be done, but without heat in it, it's a cold floor and any future plumbing repairs are going to cost.

/ House with a basement #83  
Before I moved back to the UP of Michigan my neighbor dug his basement under his house with a shovel, pick and a wheel barrel by himself. This is Michigan red clay. I told him he was nuts.

/ House with a basement #84  
My older brother called me earlier, he needs a pvc very low profile 1 1/2" p-trap for a shower in his basement. I've been searching online and haven't found anything worth while yet. Does anybody know where I can get one for him?

/ House with a basement
Thanks for all the responses and opinions so far. I have a family member who is a custom home builder and he will be building my house. We are going to my property this weekend to look at the best spots for building. He has not seen the property yet, so I want him to look it over and give me his opinions. I now have more questions for him after reviewing all the responses so far. I also have a very close friend who has a masonry business, so I am definitely going to brick the whole house.

/ House with a basement #86  
We are getting ready to build our retirement house in N. Michigan. The home site on the property leads towards a walk out basement. So the basement will be set up for future finishing by the next owners. We will put in a full bath in the basement with a tub/shower unit. The walk out wall will have a double 3 ft door, so 6 ft of opening into the future great room. Also on the wood wall, will be two egress windows for future bedrooms. Also the mechanicals and an additional laundry sink down there. The stairs going down will be 4ft wide. A friend has a 3ft stairway and has a stair chair on them. It is vey tight to walk past the stair chair, hence our stairs will be 4 ft.

Upstairs will have a master suite with only a walk out shower, no step over. Doors will be 3ft except the stair door will be 42". Entrance door will be a 42" minimum, but will probably be a double 3ft, again 6ft opening. Also upstairs will have a media room/office taht will have a closet. Then it can be turned into a bedroom in the future. The laundry will be on the first floor. Also really no halls on the first floor. Jon

/ House with a basement #87  
Thanks for all the responses and opinions so far. I have a family member who is a custom home builder and he will be building my house. We are going to my property this weekend to look at the best spots for building. He has not seen the property yet, so I want him to look it over and give me his opinions. I now have more questions for him after reviewing all the responses so far. I also have a very close friend who has a masonry business, so I am definitely going to brick the whole house.

Good call on the brick. We did all brick and love it. Weather can be blowing and storming outside and you won't even hear it. Building a home is a long string of tradeoffs and compromises that are as individual as we TBN members are. Take our input and use the advice that rings true to your needs and personality.

Or just do what I say because I'm right. :drink:

/ House with a basement #88  
That's exactly what we are currently building. For the price of a basement I am building a detached shop. I'd rather noise, dust and exhaust fumes not enter the house. As we age we want nothing to do with stairs. Also with the granite we encountered putting septic in wed likely need to blast to go deep enough and don't have the slope for walkout.

Could be why I have the exceptions of building in a swamp or on top of bedrock .