How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread
Silage can also be made out of grass. Here is a grass silage operation here in Portugal a couple months ago.

Grass and lots of other things. Many crops that failed at seeding or growing properly get chopped into feed ak silage.

Last edited:
Here is a nice video harvesting wheat this year in the red river valley of ND. For the trivia fans, this is the lake Agassiz bed where the deepest humus in the world can be found.

/ How agriculture works thread #183  
Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in, but from my (limited) understanding:

Silage is fermented plant matter, and requires the higher moisture content of green/wet plant matter and a limited oxygen supply to make. Grain corn is harvested in much drier state and if stored properly won't rot (which is different than fermenting in that rotting occurs when oxygen is readily available and the moisture content is high).

Grasses & other "hay-making plants" can be turning into silage/haylage if harvested wet and wrapped to keep the moisture in and the oxygen out. Otherwise it too is dried down and turned into hay for long term storage. Since it's not isolated from oxygen it can/will rot if/when it gets wet.

Fermented products can retain more and provide different nutritional value than hay or grains and are usually easier for to digest as they've been partially broken down through the fermentation process.

Feed products that have rotted can contain all manner of fungi and bacteria and as such really can't really be used for feed. Ideally hay should be stored under cover to reduce exposure to the elements and reduce potential for rotting, but storage space isn't always readily available....

I'm also under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that dairy cattle require a higher protein diet than beef cattle, so given the overhead of making silage it's generally not fed to cattle being raised for beef. I would also suspect that beef-cattle only farms/ranches would arise in proximity to large dairy farms just to buy and fatten out the male calves born on the dairy farms leaving the dairy farmers to focus on raising cattle for dairy production.

....again just my understanding from being on the periphery of different types of cattle & farming operations and looking into learning more about the various types of operations should I ever decide to get (back) into some type of agricultural operation.
This was a great start!
Corn silage is typically a very good feed because it has a combination of roughage for the bovines four stomachs to digest as well as the richer grain of the corn itself. The fermentation process does help break it down but in a non-oxygen atmosphere where it isn't spoiled. Also the fermentation releases heat energy which in an oxygen atmosphere could ignite.

There are also many other crops ensiled for the purpose of getting the feed partially broken down. These crops in wheat, oats, barley, sudan grass, sorghum, alfalfa, and even some weeds that have good food value. The farmer then determines what he is missing in the ration and blends it with vitamins, minerals, and other feedstuffs to balance the ration.

Ensiled products work especially well in dairys because those animal have to process a lot of plant material and drink a lot of water to produce the milk required. Having a wet fermented feed helps with that.

Sometimes feeding too much ground dry hay will cause dust/respiratory issues. The silage helps control this.

More and more feed is being ensiled either by the traditional chopping when wet or by the ensiling in bales and wrapping them to keep the oxygen out. This also makes it easier to harvest because rain does not stop the progress and there often is less loss through spoilage.

/ How agriculture works thread #184  
Arly - does your family believe in the DWayne Beck methods of farming? I grew up in NE Potter County the next county north of you. My family is using Dr. Beck's research as its primary focus on how to grow crops.

For those of you who do not know Dr. beck has been a lead researcher in "never-Till" farming that has been credited with more than doubling the Ag output of that area of SD. His research started out studying why farmers along the Missouri River were seeing over half of the water they were pumping onto their fields run back to the river. Within ten years none of the farmers were irrigating the land anymore - they were doing better without the pumps. There are many videos on You Tube with his presentations. The results are shocking. Dr. Beck has corn on his farm that he has planted for 8 years now to corn every year and it has outproduced his neighbors who farm conventionally and he has not put anything but the seed into it. No chemicals at all and that includes fertilizer. This year it is extremely dry out there and my nephews found an ear of corn that is over 8 in long, has 18 rows of kernels with 100% pollinization and kernels are filled out. And this was done with less than 1" of moisture since the 1st of March. Without the tillage there is no hard pan to stop the roots and so they are recahing down into that subsoil and pulling out the extra moisture from last year.

Creamer, I don't know anything about Beck but my relatives don't irrigate and I believe they're doing minimum tillage type of farming. Sorry I can't be more specific but glad to have you here with us. :) I've got family in Onida, Highmore and Chamberlain.

/ How agriculture works thread #186  
Dr. Beck just retired but the research farm goes on - its called Dakota Lakes Research Farm. It is just south of Blunt right on the river.

That your family doesn't irrigate is exactly the point - a lot of people quit irrigating because using what he is teaching you keep the water and nutrients in the sol where you want them and do not have to add them. Water that does not run off does not carry nutrients with it, i.e. cleaner rivers and less fertilizer needed while growing more abundant crops. I didn't see a stripper head on any of those combine photos you added. I am starting to see quite a few of those around Onida and south.

A few years back i was riding in the combine with my nephew and we are cutting 100 bu/acre wheat which I had seen in Oklahoma and Nebraska when I was younger but never thought I would see on our land (we were happy to get 30-35 back then) and we were entering a low spot and my nephew says to me we'll drop in half right here and sure enough the yield monitor dropped to about 55 and once we were most of the way across the low spot he said we will pick back up here and we did. i asked him if that was alkalai spot and he said no that was where his brother had gotten stuck last year and they disced out the ruts. That it would take five years to get that ground productive again. That wording just blew me away - productive - when I had never even seen 55 bushel anywhere near that he didn't even consider that productive.

/ How agriculture works thread #187  
How does that no-till work as far as keeping weeds down? What happens to the corn stubble after the field is cleared, does it just rot down before the next planting cycle? I presume that they are harvesting the entire plant for feed, not just growing the corn for human consumption.

/ How agriculture works thread #188  
In corn there are a couple of style of headers - most of the newer ones have what are called stripper rolls under the header which are rollers that grab the stalk and pull it vertically and in doing so essentially shred the stalk. The other style was where the forward motion of machine forced the stalk into the header and the ears couldn't fall through and were caught by rollers or chains and pushed into the gathering auger. In this case the stalks are left more bent over and not shredded. Dryer climates with snow cover usually prefer the second style for less wind erosion, plant matter loss due to winds, and catching more snow.

The planters for either of these situations are the same where they have spiked wheels called trash wheels in front of the vertical opening disc that remove the lion's share of the remainder so that disc cuts through and the new seed is planted at the right depth in soil. You can hardly tell if the field is planted until the new crop starts coming up but even then the field looks like a mess. But by the time it comes around to harvesting again most of the stalks have rotted to the point that they are not standing and have fallen over on the ground and probably 80% are humus. So the stalks are not a real problem unless you want to till the ground as the stalks - especially with the second scenario above - will bridge up in tillage equipment and make a mess which is why a lot of people used stalk shredders until the headers started taking care of it. (BTW - the headers with the stripper rolls push through the field much easier as there is not the drag on the head especially with the larger headers.)

The second part of your question is the weed control. Normally in no-till farmers plant and then spray prior to the crop emergence with a Round-up type herbicide to knock down anything that is out there. Then there is a lot less weed growth for two reasons - 1) without tillage only last years weed seeds matter all those that are underground stay whereas tillage turns them up and some seeds will stay underground twenty years and get turned on top and grow again, and 2) there is a lot of mulch if you will that slows weed growth until the crop gets up to shade the ground and stop weed growth by not allowing the sun to get through. Still, while getting the system going for the first few years a second application of herbicide is typically applied to the growing crop. Since my nephews have been doing this for 25 years though unless there is a strange weather pattern that slows the early crop growth they do not apply a second herbicide.

So what we have done here is taken what is normally and early spring tillage pass to remove trash, a second tillage pass for seedbed prep, a planting pass, a herbicide application to stunt the weeds and let the crop get ahead, a harvesting pass, and a fall tillage pass, i.e. six trips over the field 3 with high horsepower and fuel usage, and reduced it to a planting pass, a herbicide pass, and a harvesting pass, i.e. 3 passes and none with high horsepower. Also we left variables that were common but as much without the tillage of passes for insecticides, fungicides, fertilizer application (often with planting but with tillage often a second application like anhydrous).

Note: One of the big concerns of many farmers in the corn belt is all the trash on the soil not letting the moisture out and the sun in for a combination of warming and drying the soil to be able to get on it in the spring thereby delaying planting and slower early crop growth. My nephews in SD have found they are delayed a little but not significantly so even with their fairly short growing season they are minimally affected by this but in a less dry climate it is a bigger concern which may pave the way for smaller autonomous machinery that can float across the wetter soil and can work 24 hours a day and still get everything accomplished. The future will be interesting.

/ How agriculture works thread #190  
How does that no-till work as far as keeping weeds down? What happens to the corn stubble after the field is cleared, does it just rot down before the next planting cycle? I presume that they are harvesting the entire plant for feed, not just growing the corn for human consumption.
For the most part unless making silage, it's usually just the dried-out corn that is harvested which is used for human & animal consumption as well as many other products (e.g. making ethanol to blend with gasoline, certain plastics, and adhesives).

The other exception (I'm aware of) to harvesting the dried-out grain corn is the various sweet corns (which tends to be 1% or less of all corn grown in the US), where the entire cob is harvested whole and intact when it's still in a milk stage. This video being one exmple of such a machine:

While the various types of sweet corn that gardeners and grocery shoppers are familiar are sweet to the taste field corn is no where near as sweet (even when still in a milk stage - prior to drying out), but the latter makes up the vast majority of all corn grown in the US.....and is what combines are capable of harvesting. I'd wager attempting to harvest corn when still in a milk stage would clog up or at least make a huge mess in a modern combine.

The Nebraska Corn Board has a good website that breaks out the different types of corn grown in the US here: Field Corn vs. Food Corn | Nebraska Corn Board

Regarding no-til that's been pretty well answered - but I'll add that while it can work wonderfully well for some areas it's not always suitable for all crops in all climates and situations ...though even where it's not suitable reducing the amount of passes through a field should always be a goal.