How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #261  
Are you saying 2000 lbs of cotton per acre? that seems incredible! I never thought it would be that much.
I erred on my weight guess. Farmer said each module was on the light side as they created one for each 10 acre field so they could track yield by field. Maybe 8,000 each or 1 1/2 bales per acre. He said not bad for unirrigated cotton.

/ How agriculture works thread #262  
Not exactly working on a field but moving in between fields or farms is also part of agriculture, right?

So here is a great sounding JD for you to enjoy.

/ How agriculture works thread #264  
Combine with 60 ft header. I think JD has one that wide as well. Seems the future of agriculture is going bigger and wider.

/ How agriculture works thread
Kate in Montana planting winter wheat. Her planter is wide, might be 60ft.

/ How agriculture works thread #267  
The basic reason tracked tractors are so popular on the Palouse is that the tracks have a much larger footprint on the ground compared to even the 8 wheeled tractors. This gives them superior traction and pulling power, particularly on soft, hilly and/or wet ground. And they don't compact the soil as much which helps crop yields. They can also turn a tighter corner. From what I hear, tracks ride better on soft ground but ride rougher on hard ground (i.e. a dried plowed clay field). Tracks have their downside too. The mains one being you can't cruise down the road between fields as fast and they cost more.
I would like to see the data on the tracks ground pressure and compaction. If you look at the design there would be high pressure at the ends of the tracks directly under the main spindles and then under each bogie wheel. But contrary to popular belief and the way they are sold it would not be accurate to take the total weight of the tractor and divide it by the total area in contact on the tracks because one doe snot have equal pressure distribution under that track like an air pressure tire does. And yes the weight distribution would vary between hard and soft ground for both tracks and tires.

If anyone has data comparing tracks to radial tires and LSWs I would be very interested to see it. I would like to see it from an independent source because I have seen LSW tire comparison to tracks by an LSW provider and it made tracks little very bad. Again I am wondering about surface conditions effects on the distribution.

/ How agriculture works thread #269  
FWIW, I have been growing 300 acres of hay and haven’t sprayed chemicals in 5 years. Every once in a while, we are forced to because of an outbreak of hemp dogbane or some stubborn speedwell, but it’s typically limited to a small area(s).
I have had numerous opportunities to get into beans and corn, but dislike the way its grown and the methods I would have to use.
I dread the sprayer and the chemicals and have made a lot of sacrifices to quality of hay to avoid.
Farming is a tough business and there’s so much more than meets the eye going on.

/ How agriculture works thread
I would like to see the data on the tracks ground pressure and compaction. If you look at the design there would be high pressure at the ends of the tracks directly under the main spindles and then under each bogie wheel. But contrary to popular belief and the way they are sold it would not be accurate to take the total weight of the tractor and divide it by the total area in contact on the tracks because one doe snot have equal pressure distribution under that track like an air pressure tire does. And yes the weight distribution would vary between hard and soft ground for both tracks and tires.

If anyone has data comparing tracks to radial tires and LSWs I would be very interested to see it. I would like to see it from an independent source because I have seen LSW tire comparison to tracks by an LSW provider and it made tracks little very bad. Again I am wondering about surface conditions effects on the distribution.
The PSI the tires are filled with will pretty much tell you there ground PSI. Ground impaction is a big deal impacting yields, but some area's soil types its more so, than others.