How agriculture works thread

/ How agriculture works thread #281  
The videos above are obviously selling tracks. here is Titan's video of LSW tires where they claim 38% less peak ground pressure and 16% less average ground pressure. All are sales documents - is there some real independent scientific data out there?

The one thing we can all agree on is that lighter is better because of less ground tear up and compaction. Does that mean ag will start going to smaller machinery?
At farm shows, the talk is that robotic tractors of the future that run 24/7 with no operator will be much lighter 75 HP tractors doing narrower widths. That would dramatically reduce compaction on sensitive soils.

After saying that, there is some research that shows compaction not necessarily the problem it appears to be and that total no-tillage is yielding better than minimum tillage.

/ How agriculture works thread
Some big combines and a fancy setup harvesting corn. Not sure where this was shot but the field and machines look like north American.

/ How agriculture works thread #283  
Do you guys have wild parsnip out there ? and how you get rid of undesired/invasive wild plants

/ How agriculture works thread #284  
At farm shows, the talk is that robotic tractors of the future that run 24/7 with no operator will be much lighter 75 HP tractors doing narrower widths. That would dramatically reduce compaction on sensitive soils.

After saying that, there is some research that shows compaction not necessarily the problem it appears to be and that total no-tillage is yielding better than minimum tillage.
Let me add to my post above, that coupled with no-tillage, there are now machines in development that will only spray herbicides on individual weeds and not blanket the whole field. This will dramatically reduce chemical usage and all the related environmental issues it brings. Add to all this increasing use of selective harvesters for products normally hand picked and the future is forming as we watch. As well, water use is lessened because of no-till.

We'll have much less tillage, robot tractors, profoundly reduced and much more effective herbicide use and specialty harvesting machines that will reduce or even eliminate seasonal farm labor demands. We can now get a sneak peek at the future.

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread
Let me add to my post above, that coupled with no-tillage, there are now machines in development that will only spray herbicides on individual weeds and not blanket the whole field. This will dramatically reduce chemical usage and all the related environmental issues it brings. Add to all this increasing use of selective harvesters for products normally hand picked and the future is forming as we watch. As well, water use is lessened because of no-till.

We'll have much less tillage, robot tractors, profoundly reduced and much more effective herbicide use and specialty harvesting machines that will reduce or even eliminate seasonal farm labor demands. We can now get a sneak peek at the future.
I'm skeptical implements will become lighter or more narrow. The future is to who can do more acres done per hour. You might be speaking of hand picked products, not wheat, corn, beans and such that's I'm more familiar with. :unsure:

Last edited:
   / How agriculture works thread #287  
   / How agriculture works thread #288  
Reading the article it is just another fear spreader. The first thing is where is water "consumed"? Water is a cycle and it is just used and reprocessed naturally or artificially to be reused. The H2O is still in existence - the basic molecule still exists. As it becomes more valuable it will be used more carefully.

As for the droughts that is another reason for never till farming which retains and absorbs water for crop growth rather than allowing it to runoff and away. Keeping it in the soil along with the nutrients for crops just makes a lot more sense. Again shortages will raise the value and farmers will use it more restrictively, i.e. not letting it run off.

/ How agriculture works thread #289  
My point in posting the link was that priorities of our water and other resources SHOULD be toward food and the other necessities of life.
It seems like the more we need something the less we are willing to give up for it... gotta have that second home on the lake.
Imagine if we had to pay for the oxygen we breathe? Yet there are many people out there who do that every day.

/ How agriculture works thread #290  
No one has to be in the cab, no wages, unemployment, benefits, vacation time off or human errors and it runs 24/7 and on holidays if you wish. This is the size tractor they say will own the future. No pipe dream either and it will be available in a few months. The impossible is possible.