How best to excavate this stump?

/ How best to excavate this stump? #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
IMG_20180801_062918499_HDR.jpg

I'm about to remove a several-hundred year old sugar maple near my drive way. It's about 6' DBH and unfortunately rapidly dieing.

I plan on planting another fairly large tree in its place. Therefore, I'd like to get rid of the majority of the stump and roots without disturbing the asphalt arround it.

Any suggestions on the best way to surgically do this in such a tight space?

I'll probably hire out the work as I have dug similar stumps with a Case 680 and made a hole lager than I have to work with here.

Maybe, a carbide trench cutter?

/ How best to excavate this stump? #2  
Do you plan on planting a tree that’s currently pretty large? My experience is maple stumps aren’t hard to dig. Obviously it won’t be easy due to its size. With a guesstimate of 6-8 feel between the stump and the driveway I think a decent sized machine wouldn’t have much trouble.

/ How best to excavate this stump? #3  
Stump grinder was made for that situation. I’m sure their are a few contractors around who do it. Prob cost $100-$300 and they will leave some mulch for the new tree.......probably save most of the lawn too.

/ How best to excavate this stump?
I have a picture from around 1910 showing 3 of these this tree (at what appears to be this same size) and 2 others that were identical.

I dug the other two stump about 10 years after they had been cut (I don't know if the trees were alive but I'd guess not). Unfortunately, these particular trees in this granite and mineral soil were not easy to dig with an 17,000lbs Case 680. So I'm not expecting this one to slip out.

I do plan on planting another largish tree. Probably another maple. Maybe a 1' DBH? I'm still learning about transplanting bigger trees. We rely on this tree for shade in the driveway.

Stump grinder was made for that situation. I’m sure their are a few contractors around who do it. Prob cost $100-$300 and they will leave some mulch for the new tree.......probably save most of the lawn too.

Will a stump grinder go down 3 or 4feet? That's how deep the bulk of the stump will go. I didn't think they went that deep but I've always just dug stumps so I've never used one.

/ How best to excavate this stump? #6  
Will a stump grinder go down 3 or 4feet? That's how deep the bulk of the stump will go. I didn't think they went that deep but I've always just dug stumps so I've never used one.

No but they’ll go deep enough to break apart most of the stumps structure. It can be much easier dug then. Don’t bother with a little cute rentable unit. Hire someone with a big one. You still have the BH-90 for the roots right?

No but they’ll go deep enough to break apart most of the stumps structure. It can be much easier dug then. Don’t bother with a little cute rentable unit. Hire someone with a big one. You still have the BH-90 for the roots right?

Yes, I have the BH-90 for the roots.

Any particular "style" or "type" of stump grinder that should go deeper when looking for someone? The problem is what do I do if it doesn't get any near most of it... Then I've lost the stem with all the leverage.

/ How best to excavate this stump? #8  
I have one too. I feel like it's a witness to history (I found remnants of an old still there :) ) and since mine's not in a place that is a danger to my house or anything else, I will let it die in its own time. I'm always surprised when it comes back every spring.

Yours is magnificent and I wouldn't remove it unless you feel it is a danger. I would however go ahead and plant a replacement tree nearby. Doesn't have to be in the exact same spot.

I'm pretty tidy but would probably not spend the money to remove all traces of the stump. I'd leave a few feet and put a nice bird feeder or planter on top, or whatever creative thing you can think of.

/ How best to excavate this stump? #9  
Yes, I have the BH-90 for the roots.

Any particular "style" or "type" of stump grinder that should go deeper when looking for someone? The problem is what do I do if it doesn't get any near most of it... Then I've lost the stem with all the leverage.

Price having it dug with a trackhoe vs grinding. Why not just plant the new tree farther back or to the left and eliminate most of the problem?