How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow?

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
A conservation technician recently discovered that the zoo's Tasmanian Devils are biofluorescent.
That's when animals absorb high-energy light and re-emit it. It's believed to be the first documented case of the evolutionary phenomenon in Tasmanian Devils.
Jake Schoen, the technician, told the Toledo Blade, he made the discovery using a special camera, which revealed glowing blue eyes, ears and snout:
"I have a modified camera flash that is filtered, so it only releases a very specific wavelength of ultraviolet light," he said.
In a dark area of their enclosure, staff lured the two devils, Bubbles and Spiderman, near Mr. Schoen using food rewards.
"The devils came right over for some food and I could take the photo just right over the barrier," he said.

University of Kansas biologist Leo Smith, an expert in biofluorescence, usually studies fish. He said though it's something more commonly found in fish, it's not a first for land mammals. There are biofluorescent platypuses, squirrels and possums.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/14/946189582/ohio-zoo-documents-1st-case-of-biofluorescence-in-tasmanian-devils

tasmanian-devil_custom-8f390cd56ad7a72332a3025e4da9f3fafd202a77-s800-c85.jpg

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #3  
Someone must have already seen that effect, when they named them!

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #4  
That is pretty darn cool. But then again just about every animal in Australia (or Tasmania) for that matter is a little "weird" or wonderful or something. :)

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #5  
Not only does Tazz absorb the UV light, but it looks to me like he frequency shifts the energy to a lower frequency to make that blue spectrum.

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #7  
Can you imagine coming up on something like that on a dark night. Can you make a 180 degree turn and run like the wind - with grace? Probably not so much - with your shorts full!!

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #8  
There's a guy famous for painting like that
dog.jpg

Attachments

• p._35_feature.jpg
    p._35_feature.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 90
   / How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #9  
Seems like every house in the NOLA area has at least one of those.

/ How Blue Does Your Tassie Glow? #10  
Someone must have already seen that effect, when they named them!

Well, sort of... their ears (inside the 'cup') are red, due to blood vessels close to the surface of the skin.

They're naturally nocturnal, so when they were first seen (by "European Settlers" of course) it was from the glow of a campfire and their ears appeared like bright red 'horns'.

Oh, and their soothing, dulcet tones can best be described as an angry scream. They're scavengers and those jaws can easily crack bones.