How close have you come

/ How close have you come #51  
I don't run chainsaws on ladders for the reasons given above. Climbing into the tractor bucket may not be considered safe; but I prefer it over a ladder for that application.

/ How close have you come #52  
75 stitches for me first time when I owned my tree company. 2 years ago, 30 when I got stupid and in a hurry and didn't put on my chaps. I keep them real sharp so the 'incisions' are always clean. This last time, the ER doctor remarked how nice the incision was to which I said... That is 404 skip tooth chipper....

75 was a Stihl 075 with a 4 foot bar (back then no chain brake). They tend to spin down slowly. Never rest one against your leg.:thumbdown: **** near cut mine off.

/ How close have you come #53  
Every spring I thin my stands of small pines. Usually 900 - 1200 small pines. Then drag to pile, then chip. I have two chainsaws - Stihl 180 & Stihl 280. I got the smaller one because it's lighter and much less likely to cut a gash in my work boots when my arms get tired.

I did gash my previous set of boots with the bigger chainsaw. Should have quit when I started to get tired. But we all know how it goes - just a few more and I will be done. The smaller saw just can't quite reach the toe of my boots. Fortunately - the only damage was the boot.

/ How close have you come #54  
Limbing a poplar with my Jonsered 2035. Not paying attention, sound familiar, and failed to notice a limb held in tension by the one I was cutting. It broke loose and smacked my leg hard almost knocking me down. Said to myself that was stupid and went on cutting. Realized my foot was squishing when I took a step. The limb had knocked the saw into my leg also and with every heartbeat a stream shot out. Thats the problem with having nerve damage, I dont have a lot of feeling in my legs. I got chaps now.

/ How close have you come #55  
Limbing a poplar with my Jonsered 2035. Not paying attention, sound familiar, and failed to notice a limb held in tension by the one I was cutting. It broke loose and smacked my leg hard almost knocking me down. Said to myself that was stupid and went on cutting. Realized my foot was squishing when I took a step. The limb had knocked the saw into my leg also and with every heartbeat a stream shot out. Thats the problem with having nerve damage, I dont have a lot of feeling in my legs. I got chaps now.

:thumbsup: . . . .

/ How close have you come #56  
Getting farm ready for sister-in-law's wedding years ago. Cutting a fallen pine tree (which I was sawing above my head). Fatigue set in and when I came down with saw, I didn't stop soon enough. Rotating chain caught the groin area of my double-layered pants. It cut through the first layer but not the second. The pants were cut right in the area of your femoral artery.

That was a wake up call to me. I told my in-law's that if I ever cut wood for them again, I'd be wearing chaps. I believe in chaps. I also believe in wearing full headgear now to reduce risk of injury to the head from kickback.

/ How close have you come #57  
Getting farm ready for sister-in-law's wedding years ago. Cutting a fallen pine tree (which I was sawing above my head). Fatigue set in and when I came down with saw, I didn't stop soon enough. Rotating chain caught the groin area of my double-layered pants. It cut through the first layer but not the second. The pants were cut right in the area of your femoral artery.

That was a wake up call to me. I told my in-law's that if I ever cut wood for them again, I'd be wearing chaps. I believe in chaps. I also believe in wearing full headgear now to reduce risk of injury to the head from kickback.

And another :thumbsup: inode . . .

/ How close have you come #58  
I run a saw for my firewood, 4-5 cords a year. I use chaps and headgear, they cost less than my ER co-pay. I probably used a saw for 15 years before I bought safety equipment other than gloves. I believe I've been lucky.
I have cut myself with a bowsaw more times than I'd like to admit. Maybe I tend to use that in places I won't run a chainsaw ? (Like standing on a ladder)

/ How close have you come #59  
Here's a good safety video link feller died. Tree Barberchairs, Then Strikes Worker - YouTube

I learned the hard way pushing an alder with loader bucket.... top snapped, sent me to hospital with broken eye socket bone...not a scratch on the old mf 135. I do things slower now and think about safety what if's
Be safe sometimes you don't get to make a second mistake

/ How close have you come #60  
I've been meaning to buy a set of chaps after reading some of these posts a couple of months back. Never got around to it. Well I got dinged this past weekend after 20+ years using my saws. I was just about done cutting, and I was getting a bit tired. But I figured I'd finish brushing out a tree on the ground and during that process I allowed the saw drop further than normal, without noticing. As the chain was slowing down it ticked my kneecap, and just above the knee. And luckily it was slow enough that I could patch it up myself. I'm sure the chain bit the loose jeans and pulled the saw to the knee and cut me. By the time I set the saw down, it was out of fuel. I was literally seconds seconds from the saw running out of fuel!! I'm going to hang those pants in the pole barn as my reminder to ALWAYS wear chaps from this point forward. I feel very lucky to have gotten off so easily. View attachment 627521

That's about what my leg looked like but it was below my knee and on the outside of my leg. It was just a snag on my work pants so I didn't think anything about it other than I was lucky. A few minutes later I wondered why my sock felt "squishy". Bought chaps the next day after 6 stitches and use them even if I'm just making a single cut.