How come my PTO shaft doesn't have a hole through it?

/ How come my PTO shaft doesn't have a hole through it? #1  

motownbrowne

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D
I'm trying to install an overrunning PTO coupler. The brochure for the l3800 I looked at said the hydro models included one to protect the transmission from overrunning force from an implement. Nowhere in the MX paperwork was one mentioned, so I'm not sure I need it but figure it's a good idea. Furthermore, my PTO shafts are all too short because the 8n is smaller. So I thought I'd add an overrunning coupler. Now that I go to do it, I notice there's no hole through the PTO shaft. So, do I have any choice besides ordering a quick release couple? Do I need the clutch, or should I just buy an extension?

/ How come my PTO shaft doesn't have a hole through it? #2  
You do not need the overunning clutch with your Independent PTO on your MX4700. Add the extension if you must, and lots of people do as the solution to the short PTO shaft problem, but keep in mind it will add some wear to the tractors PTO shaft over time as it is not a perfect fit, with some slop and up and down and side to side movement. I decided to buy a new PTO shaft for the one PTO implement I have. BUT that may not be a very good option for you if you have several implements. How much will it wear on the PTO shaft? and is it a real problem? I don't know for sure. But it has been brought up several times in these discussions and I can see the possibilities. Perhaps someone who has been using an extender for several years would weigh in.

/ How come my PTO shaft doesn't have a hole through it? #3  
So, do I have any choice besides ordering a quick release couple?

You can have the shaft lengthened, but it might cost more than a new shaft. I go to an industrial driveline place by my house, they make driveshafts for those big construction machines and dragsters. If you have a place like that near you they could do it for you. They also dynamically balance the shaft, I had them do that when I bent the shaft for my bushhog.