How did I do?

/ How did I do? #1  

GManBart

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 241, Kubota SVL90-2
Okay, Massey experts, I've been looking at a couple of MF models over the last few months, and just won an auction on Ebay for one...I'm pretty jazzed. Please tell me I did okay, or at least break it to me gently :laughing: Also, if there's anything I need to keep an eye out for as far as maintenance, or good resources to save for reference, I'd appreciate anything along those lines as well.

It's a 241 with a bit over 1300hrs on the tach, and seems to be in really good shape. I inspected it, and drove it a few days ago. I started it dead cold, and at operating temperature....fired up immediately, with just a small puff of black smoke. All of the gears sound good, the live PTO and clutch seem fine, the 3pt lifts normally, and didn't budge when I tried making it leak down, and it has a ton of power. I looked it over for about half an hour, and found only two things...it needs new shifter boots, and there is a tiny leak at one of the fittings on the power steering pump.

This is going to be dedicated to mowing/brush hogging in the summer, and light snow removal in the winter (have a plow for major storms)....it will also serve as the rescue rig for stuck tractors locally (between myself, and two neighbors we have 8 or so tractors). A side bonus is that my finish mower is red!

A funny thing was that I noted it had a pretty distinct sound, and then did some reading....now I get what people are talking about when they say a Perkins diesel has some bark....it does, but clearly not in a bad way. I ran it on a paved road, and got it topped out in high gear...it was much faster than I expected, and the steering was nice and tight.

From what I can tell, MF only made them for two years, and then stopped both the 231, and 241, with the introduction of the 231S, which has the engine, and looks of the 241. I think there might have been changes in manufacturing plants that went along with it, but I don't really care much...the engine is a common one, and parts will be available for a long time. I looked at a 231 locally, and expected to love it, but it was really cramped getting on, and mostly off. That's not a big deal for me now, but my wife may help some with mowing, and there's now way she's climbing on and off something that awkward.

Here's a link to the auction...how'd I do on price?

Massey Ferguson 241 Diesel Tractor | eBay

/ How did I do? #2  
I don't know what it a good price but if you are happy I would say you did well. I like the looks of it, I had a 255 for years and if you get tired of it just send it my way. :laughing:

/ How did I do? #3  
Looks like a pretty cool tractor.. with 45 PTO horse, it ought to spin a blade pretty easy, I am sure it will make you a nice tractor for your intended tasks.

James K0UA

/ How did I do?
I think it was a fair price. The local 231s were going to be as much, or more, and they're nowhere near as comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised how tight it would turn, which is a good thing for what I'll be doing. I already have a set of turf tires and wheels that will fit it...picked them up well used recently for $200. They've got some weather checking, but they're loaded, so they should hold pressure, and the checking isn't terrible. I'll see how it goes with the R1s first...but I did notice the brakes don't work super well going down hill, with no weight on the back! Pictures soon!

/ How did I do?
Brought her home today!

null_zps21e01bbf.jpg

/ How did I do? #8  
If the paint is original then that tractor has lived in a shed most of its life, and at 1300 hrs is still good for years more. Is the g/box 8speed?
Dad got one new,(1984) sold after retirement in 2006 @4600 hrs, no dramas , just ran and ran.
We tried changing exhausts to beat the bark, but to no effect.

Last edited:
   / How did I do?
If the paint is original then that tractor has lived in a shed most of its life, and at 1300 hrs is still good for years more. Is the g/box 8speed?
Dad got one new,(1984) sold after retirement in 2006 @4600 hrs, no dramas , just ran and ran.
We tried changing exhausts to beat the bark, but to no effect.

The tranny is the 4 speed with high, and low ranges, for 8 total. I paid $7k, and think it was more than a fair price. The paint seems original, and it still has the original dealer stickers as well. I'm going to get the mowing deck on it today!

/ How did I do? #10  
Very nice - should pull a 5 or 6 foot rotary brush mower easily. We have a gas IH 444 utility about that size.