How did I ever survive beyond childhood?

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #41  
Ah, you guys are just encouraging me. When I was growing up we always had electricity, but one place we lived we didn't have gas or water...or a telephone. We heated with a kerosene stove and Mom cooked on a kerosene stove. We pumped our water from an old fashioned pump outside the front door and drank from a white porcelainized dipper with red trim. Our water, was of course in the kitchen in a water bucket. I usually got the job of pumping the water; I always kept a can of water by the pump to prime it. If we ran completely out of water, and there was no priming water, I had to walk a quarter mile down to the creek to get priming water. Many a winter morning I recall ice on the top of the water bucket. Man, I hated to bail out of bed and hit that cold linoleum.

We got most of our meat by hunting and fishing. I grew up on catfish,deer, squirrel, rabbit, quail and duck. I recall at times shooting a squirrel or two, or a rabbit in the morning, cleaning them before catching the bus to go to school. In fact, when I got my old '30 Chevy, I drove it to school with my rifle in the trunk. We used to pick possum grapes on the way home from the bus stop and put them in our lunch boxes. Mom made some of the best grape jelly! Our school did not have air conditioning, in fact I never attended a school with AC until I got to college. The old lunch room (I'm betting the school was 100 years old) had a smell all of it's own. A century of boiled eggs, bologna, bananas, apples, peanut butter, etc. had a lasting effect on that old lunch room.

We used to skinny dip in the sand pit; make our own corn cob pipes from the end of a cane fishing pole and a corn cob and smoke Dad's old cigarette butts in them. My folks were poor; we wore our shoes until they fell off our feet...and cut the cardboard off the back of our tablets to put in the bottom when the holes in the soles got too big. We wore overalls because jeans were to expensive; they had been through Mom's old wringer washer so many times the buttons were all gone. We used to have to pull the ear of cloth where the button had been through the button hole and insert a match stick to keep the "gallouses" in place. Mom heated her wash water in a big old cast iron witches cauldron and hung the clothes out on a clothes line.

Incidentally, overalls were treacherous when you had to heed the call of nature. You had to mind your gallouses else you would end up befouling them...and wearing them the rest of the day.

We played Shinny during the lunch hour; one school I went to had all eight grades in the same building. One teacher who also was the school nurse, principal, superintendent, janitor and administrator. She built the fire in the old pot bellied stove, opened and closed the windows, swept up...and taught all eight grades. We had boys and girls outhouses, and got our drinking water from a pump. I could go on, but this is enough for one day.

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #42  
I grew up abused also , but loved every minute . My Dad and Uncle farmed 750 acres in the 60s , I andmy cousin were the hired men . In the spring I got to skip school to help plant corn and beans . They bought a used 560 IH and it was hooked to a 12 ft. disc . My job was to work ground in front of the 6 row planter , big in those days .Could barely reach the pedals , no fenders , noisy , dirty , bouncing through the dead furrow at each end of the field , usually jerking the wheel out of my hands . I could not have been happier ! In the summer I got the pleasure of painting our two story house off a 20 foot ladder , every summer ! Then it came time to walk beans . Sadly these were not RUR and herbicides in that day were not very effective . Volunteer corn , milkweed , butterprint , and foxtail , and it was pulled not hacked with a dull hoe .The beans were so tangled you could hardly walk , but hey 50 cents an hour . Then came fall . I can remember a brand new 300 Massey combine and a 3 row cornhead , huge ! Also a new batch dryer . Corn did not dry down in the fields back then . This dryer ran 24/7 . LOUD , pto shafts running everywhere , did I mention dark , in and out of the bins constantly . I loved it . Then it was tillage . Chopping 2 rows of stalks with an old M with a heathouser . If the wind was just right , you froze going one direction then enjoyed the heat and the leaking exhaust manifold going the other . My Dad and Uncle are and were very good people . Sorry I , got a little windy .

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #43  
That couldve been written by Jay Leno! Thanks for posting!

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #44  
I was cleaning out my garage a couple weeks ago and found my dad's machete. 2' long blade. I remember dad handing it to me when I was a kid and telling me to knock the branches off some small trees he had cut down. His instructions: "Don't cut your leg off." hahahaha Actually, he showed me how to walk on one side of the trunk and knock off the branches on the other side of the trunk. That way, if you missed the branch, or went clean trough the branch, or bounced off the trunk, etc... the trunk would always be between the blade and your leg. Then he said, "Don't cut your leg off." :)

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #45  
I was cleaning out my garage a couple weeks ago and found my dad's machete. 2' long blade. I remember dad handing it to me when I was a kid and telling me to knock the branches off some small trees he had cut down. His instructions: "Don't cut your leg off." hahahaha Actually, he showed me how to walk on one side of the trunk and knock off the branches on the other side of the trunk. That way, if you missed the branch, or went clean trough the branch, or bounced off the trunk, etc... the trunk would always be between the blade and your leg. Then he said, "Don't cut your leg off." :)

I see you still have 2 legs.. Dad's advice must have worked!:)

It is amazing how in those days, parents sized up their children, and decided when to give the machete, or firearm or skill-saw or whatever.

I can remember being turned loose by myself with the .22rifle.. "don't shoot yourself, anyone else, or any of the cows".. OK, thanks Dad. Somehow I managed to not shoot myself, anyone else or any of the cows.:) Although there were a couple of ricochet's that went ssszzzzz off into the air, and I was praying they didn't land on anything important.:eek: But I learned from that too.

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #46  
I see you still have 2 legs.. Dad's advice must have worked!:)

It is amazing how in those days, parents sized up their children, and decided when to give the machete, or firearm or skill-saw or whatever.

I can remember being turned loose by myself with the .22rifle.. "don't shoot yourself, anyone else, or any of the cows".. OK, thanks Dad. Somehow I managed to not shoot myself, anyone else or any of the cows.:) Although there were a couple of ricochet's that went ssszzzzz off into the air, and I was praying they didn't land on anything important.:eek: But I learned from that too.

:laughing: I didn't shoot myself either, although one kid I went to school with managed to shoot himself in the foot. I did, however, manage to shoot one of my friends in the butt with a ricochet off an old washing machine agitator.

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood?
Back about 1960 when the space race was just getting started, me a couple of other kids decided we needed to make our own rocket. We decided to make our own "propellant" and the best we could devise was home made black powder. We went down to the drugstore and bought some sulfur and salt peter which was in bottles on the shelf. Ground up some charcoal briquettes and mixed up a batch. i don't know where we got the recipe, but it produced a product that had a nice burn rate.

For the rocket "body" we found some old aluminum tubing about 3/8 diameter and 4" or 5" long. We took the head of a nail and crimped both sides of the tubing around it to create a nozzle kind of like we saw on pictures. Filled the open end with our propellant and crimped it over.

For an igniter, we stuffed a kitchen match into the nozzle and lit the stick.

Next step, run like he!!.

When the match head it set off the black powder and lo and behold the thing took off and flew very erratically for 40 or 50 feet. Hallelujah!! we were rocket scientist.

Why the **** thing didn't blow like a bomb I'll never know, but we made 10 or so and most launched, some just melted the nozzle.

Yeah, how did I make it past 12.

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #48  
Who says I survived childhood?

/ How did I ever survive beyond childhood? #50  
I recall shooting our cannon.
Had found a carton of blasting caps near a construction site.
Our cannon was a water pipe stuck into the earth pointing out over the river. We'd drop in a cap, then a marble or stuff set the blasting cap off to propel the 'ammo' and see how far the splash was.

Later found some forcite and tried fishing. All we got was sunfish but lots of fun.

Always wanted to SCUBA and as kids we'd tie weights to our feet, cut lengths of hose to breathe and walk the river bottom.
Later years I did get certified as a sport diver.