How did your knee replacement go?

/ How did your knee replacement go? #21  
I used to design knees and their instruments back when. Things may be different now but probably not totally. If I need one, I'd go to a practice that specializes in total joint replacement.

Back then, some of the leading surgeons worked in teaching institutions. In that case, I'd ask that surgeon if he will do the surgery personally or will he be just supervising someone in training.

/ How did your knee replacement go? #22  
rcv1.jpg
rcv2.jpg
rcv3.jpg

Last edited:
   / How did your knee replacement go? #23  
Most modern knee replacement surgeries are successful and the patients with two bad knees usually gladly schedule the second after recovery from their first. I just want to comment here in case a potential recipient is creeped out about a casual description of what's involved. (Tendons connect muscle to bone. Ligaments connect bone to an adjacent bone.)

No muscles are "severed" during knee replacement surgery. That would become a bag of worms.

Instead, after the front, vertical incision, the kneecap can be flipped off to the side, but it's still attached to the front muscle tendon above and the ligament to the tibia below. Once that tendon/kneecap/ligament structure is out of the way, all bone resections can be made from the front, very carefully to avoid the ligaments on each side of the knee and the nerves/blood vessels behind the knee. Any muscles in front are attached to the kneecap so they are safely off to the side as well.

There are also two cruciate ligaments in the middle of the knee. Neither, one, or both of these ligaments are removed, depending on if the joint replacement used is designed to compensate for them.

/ How did your knee replacement go? #25  
I hope to get in line early August to get my RT knee totally replaced at 71 in Oct or Nov. Doc say both knees are bone on bone w/groove on the right & I'm worried about torn ligaments that I don't know how will fit into the repair procedure. Doc says I'll get a new poly patella vs retain the original one, which is the never crushed one. :LOL:

/ How did your knee replacement go? #26  
Wife was to have knee replacement Thankgiving day eve 2019. She has under control high BP and leaky valves. Her heart doctor and pulmonologist had both given their okay to have the surgery.

She was ready to go under when the anesthesiologist said "whoa". The hospital wanted to do their own heart exams. Then Covid came along. End of June 2020, she had gone jumped through all of the hoops to hear the same things that our regular heart doctor had said. That is, that she has issues but with diligent monitoring, would be okay for the surgery. We decided what with everything going on to forgo the surgery.

She went back to the hospital for a heart checkup about a month ago. Her heart has gotten a bit worse to the point where the surgeon wants to see her back every six months. She had decided to forego the surgery anyway so for now with less Covid restrictions, we have started back up with the gel shots.

During this time, I learned of another knee replacement technique. Using the data from an MRI scan, a 3D knee replacement is molded. It's been awhile since I was reading up on the procedure but as I recall, it is supposed to be an easier surgery to recover from. Anyone have this procedure?

/ How did your knee replacement go? #27  
Most knee replacements go really well, I've known several that have had them and recovered quickly.

Every once in a while though, they go very badly. My dad is on day 14 of recovery after replacing the same knee twice in 6 months, here's what happened. He had his knee replaced and was recovering well and then started getting some swelling. Went to the Dr and they drew some fluid, bad staph infection so they hospitalized him and put him on strong IV antibiotics. Eventually they sent him home and a home nurse came a couple of times a day to administer the antibiotics. After a bit the knee tested clean so they switched him to an oral that he would have to take for the rest of his life. A few weeks go by and he's got some swelling again, goes to the Dr and they draw 50 - 60 ccs of fluid off the knee and test to find the infection is back. They scheduled him for surgery to remove the knee and install a bar, often what happens if there is an infection is it gets on the knee replacement and can't be cured without removing the knee since the antibiotics don't get to it. He went to a rehab hospital after that surgery for a few weeks and then home, again on very strong antibiotics. 7 weeks post-surgery, they culture the knee again and find it's clear of the infection so they schedule the replacement again. That surgery went well and he's home from the rehab hospital for about 4 days now. Range of motion and mobility this time are nowhere near where they were after the first replacement though and the Dr is telling him he may not get the 120 degree bend he needs to ride his bike again. Recovery is going slowly and is much more difficult this time, he's walking on a cane but, not very far. He will have to take the antibiotics orally for the rest of his life now.

I'm not sure what could have been done differently by him to have avoided this, I don't think anything. This is a hospital problem that came from not cleaning everything properly either for/during the surgery or sometime in his post-op care. I think it's just the luck of the draw. The only thing I would say as a take away from this is if you have a joint replaced and get an infection in the joint after surgery, demand that they remove the joint instead of just trying an antibiotic course first to see if it works. I had a customer some years back that had a hip replaced and his journey mirrored my Dad's in both time and results. In both cases, if they would have just removed the joint, recovery would've been faster and I'm sure would have resulted in better range of motion following the 2nd replacement. I think insurance wants to try antibiotics because it's cheaper but, based on what I've seen, I don't think it's the best course for the patient, only for the insurance company's bottom line.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, as I said in the beginning, most people I know that have had them had no complications and are glad they did it. I just wanted to share the possible negative outcome and what I came away from those with in case you experience something like it, which I sincerely hope you don't. Both my dad and the client were in a great deal of pain throughout it all and got very depressed, I wouldn't wish either of those on anyone.

Last edited:
   / How did your knee replacement go? #28  
STx
I hope your dad continues to improve. On my redo the surgeon told me that if I could acheive a 90 degree range of motion I would be lucky. He said because of my age and stiffness of tendons etc. A couple months after the redo it still is not comfortable but am still diligent in modest therepy. Sure don't want to have to go in again. Recovery seems much longer on my redo.