How Dirty do you get?

/ How Dirty do you get? #1  

Nasty135

Veteran Member
Tractor
massey ferguson 135/1433v
Well I've had my ZTR from the beginning of this year and at first it was heaven, But I noticed that I needed some eye protection just so I could see because the debris I would throw out would be right in my path as I turned for my next pass causing very irritated eyes watering and general discomfort. Wearing a hat also helped in keeping stuff out of my face and eyes....By the time I was finished mowing I was filthy ..... Yesterday I had to mow the back 40 (2acres /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) I hooked up my 6' KK to my tractor just for a break from the noise and dirt /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Hmmmm!! What to do next??? Will I or won't I /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sounds like a personal problem....

Just a little info for those who are considering a ZTR , You will get dirty /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ How Dirty do you get? #2  
Mark,

I get a little grass around my feet but nothing towards my face (that I've noticed). On a very dry & windy day, the clippings do fly pretty high & far. I'd guess if the wind was right, it would come back at me at eye level. Don't tell the safety police but I've also removed the chute cover and have noticed no more flying debris.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the debris I would throw out would be right in my path as I turned for my next pass causing very irritated eyes watering and general discomfort.)</font>

Are you blowing the clippings inward (where you're going to mow next)?

Brian

PS. Running the weedeater will really get me from head to toe.

/ How Dirty do you get?
Brian, My mowing pattern is back and forth to get that striped look ,so whether I do an inside turn or an outside turn there is still floating debris in the air from the previous pass.
If I was to just mow in an outside circular pattern I would be fine ,But it wouldn't look as nice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hmmm, Maybe when I don't want to get filthy I should make unattractive outside circles /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ How Dirty do you get?
Oh, I guess I should mention my chute is still in place...

And yes I exspect to get covered when weed whacking,

Just wondering if others feel that ZTR mowing is dirtier than other types of mowing???

/ How Dirty do you get? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Brian, My mowing pattern is back and forth to get that striped look ,so whether I do an inside turn or an outside turn there is still floating debris in the air from the previous pass.
If I was to just mow in an outside circular pattern I would be fine ,But it wouldn't look as nice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Hmmm, Maybe when I don't want to get filthy I should make unattractive outside circles /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif )</font>

I get it now.

If I want to "try" to stripe (my ZTR doesn't do a very good job of it), I still do alternating loops. (Starting from the outside, make one complete lap then turn around an make the next lap backwards). There may be some airborne after the initial turn but for the next 7-800' (1 lap), it should already be gone. Maybe use the turn-around as a good time to stop for a few seconds and have a sip of your "beverage" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and wait until it settles.

Brian

/ How Dirty do you get? #6  
I usually look like a walking haystack by the time I get off my ZTR. But then, it's been dry (no rain for about a month.) The wind typically blows the clippings and dirt back over me when I turn. We get similar treatment from the RFM on the CUT, though.

/ How Dirty do you get? #7  
I don't get dirty, but my cub cadet 2544 looks like it's owned by pigpen from the peanuts every time I'm done using it! The top of the deck collects a mound of clippings and the engine compartment gets absolutely filthy. Being a horizontal shaft engine, the cooling air is drawn in from the lower dash, kinda between your feet, so it tends to draw in all debris stirred up by the deck & blows it over the engine & out the front grille. Then the hydro fan blows straight out the back, so the whole arse end catches some dirt Great machine, awesome cut quality, it just needs to be blown off with my air gun or leaf blower every time I'm done using it.
G/luck
Joel

/ How Dirty do you get? #8  
Hmmm.... and I thought PowerTrac owners were the only folks who got weekly fiber requirements when they mow. Anyone who uses a PowerTrac FMM (finish or brush) will get a head full, eyes full and lap full of clippings. The mowers are technically rear discharge. However, the operator sits right behind the rear discharge. Thus, the operator "eats" the clippings that are shooting out the rear of the mower. It would be better if PT made a side discharge unit. I think I'd rather deal with windrows.

/ How Dirty do you get? #9  
Absolutely covered, I will were goggles to keep the debris out of eyes.

/ How Dirty do you get?
tracdoc, Well it should make you feel a little better knowing that your not alone in your misery. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I know it makes me feel a little better that I'm not alone in the dirty mowing department !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As a matter of fact ,I mowed this afternoon and it wasn't too bad today so I didn't mind it near as bad ... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe because I know others are having the same plight...HEHE!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif