How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power?

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
When I took my Kubota steering cylinder to be rebuilt, I could move the piston by hand. Now I need to finish installing it, and the shop left it in the wrong position. How do I pull the rod out so it lines up in the tractor frame?

I can't use the tractor's hydraulic system to do it because the engine can't be run until I get the front cover fixed. Using the tractor's hydraulics is what broke the cover.

A mechanic told me he uses compressed air.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power?
It looks like Harbor Freight has a pedal-operated air over hydraulic pump that ought to work.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #3  
The HF hydraulic pump would work but it’s more expense than required. Remove the lines and pull it by hand. It might be hard but it will move. Compressed air will also work but it tends to move cylinders violently apposed to a controlled movement. Another option would be to jack up the tractor and you should be able to move the wheels be hand to match the cylinder.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #4  
Just to extend the rod... You're only working against friction of seals. A length of rope and a 5 foot 2x4. Mount the cylinder, Leave the ports open, tie rope to the rod end, use the 2x4 as a lever against something to pull the rod out. The closer the rope is to the fulcrum; less force is required.

When the hoses are connected, a few cycles will purge the air out.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #5  
If you do use air (I wouldn't) be very careful, it'll extend very violently, also a good chance of pulling the piston off the end of the rod when it bottoms out. Use one of the the methods advised above.............Mike

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #6  
I did the air thing once, never again LOL. Luckily to was just a small cylinder.

But, can't you just jack up the tractor and move the wheels to get the linkage to line up with the piston?

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power?
I will try moving the wheels, but I don't think that will move things enough.

This thing is mounted inside the frame of the tractor between the rails. Really stupid design. There is no way to get a tool on it to pull it.

Pulling it by hand is not an option. When I had it out of the tractor, I couldn't do anything with it. The new seals are extremely tight.

If moving the wheels doesn't work, I'll try an external pump.

Thanks for the help, especially the warning about compressed air.

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #8  
Can you connect one end, hook up the hoses, start the engine and turn the steering wheel to move the rod into place?

/ How do I Extend a Hydraulic Rod Without Power? #9  
Just pull it out.