Backhoe How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe?

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Ok so I have to dig trenches. I already dug one, and managed to get myself stuck.

I think my machine with BH, Loader, & Loaded Rear Tires weight 7800lbs. I always saw people digging by straddling the trench. No matter what i need a way to cross this trench. So if i straddle it, then i can't really get off it unless i use my hoe to crab myself to the right or left moving the rear tires - not sure if i should be doing this or not.

The other option i saw on here somewhere was dig from the left side, then dig from the right side, then back up to the trench where it isn't dug out yet and connect it by just backing the tractor up to the trench and using the hoe at 180*.

I'm really just asking to see how you all do it.

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #2  
What are you digging for? If running pipe or conduit, some will dig and lay at the same time more or less. That way you can fill behind you. Dig 50', lay 30' of pipe, fill and cross over the filled section.

Others will lay heavy timbers and plywood over a section to drive over.

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #3  
In my location you can't dig very far until the vibration from the tractor causes a cave-in where you just dug, so lay pipe and backfill as you go is the rule around here.

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe?
What are you digging for? If running pipe or conduit, some will dig and lay at the same time more or less. That way you can fill behind you. Dig 50', lay 30' of pipe, fill and cross over the filled section.

Others will lay heavy timbers and plywood over a section to drive over.
Its actually an open trench ... which will have a pipe in it as well for crossing. but only in one section open trench > pipe > open trench

essentially drainage ditches/swales/ except im just doing a trench

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #5  
Sounds like you’re doing it backwards? I dig, drive forward, dig, repeat and never straddle open trench. Few exceptions when going up to a a wall or whatever.

Sounds like you’re doing it backwards? I dig, drive forward, dig, repeat and never straddle open trench. Few exceptions when going up to a a wall or whatever.
Yea what your saying is fine ... but imagine u have to dig a trench from one lake, to another lake ... u cant exit into the lake!

its the "exit" that im looking for advice on

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #7  
You can't dig going forward until right at the lake then move the tractor to the side to finish?

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #8  
I once trenched between buildings and needed the entire trench open before backfilling.

I started digging from the wall of one building toward the center. Before getting too close to the other building, I drove forward, turned the tractor around, and started digging from the wall of the second building toward the center. I wound up with a continuous trench between the buildings with the tractor straddling the trench in the middle.

I manually/hand backfilled the trench just enough so I could drive the tractor across the refilled trench. Some dirt in the trench, then boards and plywood on top. I drove the tractor out and used it to backfill the rest.

/ How do you dig a trench with a CUT backhoe? #9  
Its actually an open trench ... which will have a pipe in it as well for crossing. but only in one section open trench > pipe > open trench
That makes it a lot easier. Dig from one end to beyond where the pipe will go. Lay the pipe and cover it so you can cross over at will. Then dig from the other end back to the pipe.

That makes it a lot easier. Dig from one end to beyond where the pipe will go. Lay the pipe and cover it so you can cross over at will. Then dig from the other end back to the pipe.
lol this is really smart!