How do you take care of your traps?

/ How do you take care of your traps? #11  
We usually just pile up the new traps up outside and spray them with a degreaser let them sit and then hit then with the hose. With conni's done type of degreasing is a must otherwise you won't keep them set. Just a little bump and they will fire.

We have used the rustoleum paint dip on them but taped over the dog and trigger to prevent having to scrape it off. No need to wax the Connis either. That's usually just a foothold thing. And really if you're not going to have them in the field for entire seasons i wouldn't worry about dipping them either.

If you haven't used body grip traps before i highly suggest you start by playing with the 110. And really a 220 is probably too much for a squirrel. Especially if they are reed squirrels, probably ok for fox/gray/black squirrels but still large. We use those for raccoon.

I would also look into making boxes for them. Use an idea like a mink box or weasel box. Just google those and you'll see the idea.

Just a few tips, we run everything from 110s-330s.

ForumRunner_20151110_182650.png

Pile of some of our iron on a 4x8 trailer for power washing.

/ How do you take care of your traps?
We usually just pile up the new traps up outside and spray them with a degreaser let them sit and then hit then with the hose. With conni's done type of degreasing is a must otherwise you won't keep them set. Just a little bump and they will fire.

We have used the rustoleum paint dip on them but taped over the dog and trigger to prevent having to scrape it off. No need to wax the Connis either. That's usually just a foothold thing. And really if you're not going to have them in the field for entire seasons i wouldn't worry about dipping them either.

If you haven't used body grip traps before i highly suggest you start by playing with the 110. And really a 220 is probably too much for a squirrel. Especially if they are reed squirrels, probably ok for fox/gray/black squirrels but still large. We use those for raccoon.

I would also look into making boxes for them. Use an idea like a mink box or weasel box. Just google those and you'll see the idea.

Just a few tips, we run everything from 110s-330s.

View attachment 446885

Pile of some of our iron on a 4x8 trailer for power washing.

Thanks for all the replies, it appears the conciseness is just to degrease them and then let them rust. That seems the easiest thing and cheapest thing to do.

I also read the Duke traps need some tuning to make them work correctly. I saw that on a couple of sites but they did not say what or how to tune them.

Will definitively be starting with the 110's, just purchased the 220 to have around if the raccoon comes around again looking at my chickens.

What is the purpose of a box for setting your trap in? Just safety for dogs? Why are some tapered and others are not?

/ How do you take care of your traps? #14  
Dukes are your base model traps. They are some of the most common bought because they are usually the cheapest. They are ok traps for what you're looking at doing, and some guys swear by them, but after having my hands on alot of different steel they are considerably lighter made. That being said, their foot holds require tuning however the connis don't really have anything to tune other than making sure the dog and trigger hook up and cut loose how you want them. There are modifications you can do to those parts or even up grade them but i wouldn't worry about it for squirrels. You may want to look at getting trigger boards for them that you could bait the trigger bar itself. Or look at how the trigger bars can be bent to increase the chance they hit them rather than slipping by. You don't want both bars sticking straight down the middle because it will look like an obstruction to them and they'll try to slip by.

The boxes are primarily just a holding device that you can bait. And critters like investigating openings and such anyhow. As for the 220 we usually just do trail sets for the coons, but your situation i would look at a bucket set. Again just to be able to bait it and draw them.

Now keep in mind the boxes will not totally prevent other critters from getting in, especially the bucket set with the 220. And connis are indiscriminate killers!!! They don't care if it's a cat, coon, small dog, chicken, etc..

You may want to consider the live trap and a .22 for coons in the yard. Use marshmallows for bait put a few outside, a couple before the pan, and a couple in the back after the pan. We use cat food too, but not for around houses with strays because they tie up the sets too much.

If you get on trapperman.com there are endless hours of reading there on the topics. Just like here, lots and lots of experienced folks.

/ How do you take care of your traps? #15  
Another easy way to degrease them is a dishwasher.

Another easy way to degrease them is a dishwasher.

I would have to do it when the wife is not around, I don't think she would appreciate anything but dishes in the dishwasher. :)

@psebowhunter, thanks for all the information, will be checking out trapperman.com.