How do you tell what year your tractor is?

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #1  

ipegasus

Tractor
2019 New Holland T4.75
I have a New Holland Powerstar 75 that I purchased in 2019. I am the first registered owner. Some say that I should call it a 2019 as I am the first owner. I found a sticker on the engine that it was produced in 2017. My purchase agreement did not state a year just the model.
IMG_1919.JPG

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #2  
Engine may have been produced in ‘17. Look on the cab floor, frame for another “chassis” decal. Or call dealer with serial # and he will give you year

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #3  
Supply parts can be manufactured any time. Unit serial number is recorded in the year manufactured. Non automotive suppliers don't emphasize the model year like auto/truck vendors do and in the resale of non such items, condition is the key, not the year it rolled off the assembly line.

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #4  
I have a New Holland Powerstar 75 that I purchased in 2019. I am the first registered owner. Some say that I should call it a 2019 as I am the first owner. I found a sticker on the engine that it was produced in 2017. My purchase agreement did not state a year just the model.
View attachment 729335

On tractors there are no registered owners and model year is irrelevant to most people. It’s not a car.

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #5  
Interesting question, as I have wondered as well. My thoughts was that I needed the year for correct parts.

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #6  
On tractors there are no registered owners and model year is irrelevant to most people. It’s not a car.

The “same” tractor as mine made a year later has:
the exhaust stack on the opposite side of the tractor,
tier IV components,
a reconfigured operator station,
an electric PTO switch on the right instead of a manual PTO clutch lever on the left,
a relocated fuel tank,
a redesigned hood,
redesigned fenders,
relocated battery, and
very different shielding over the transmission at your feet.
These are only the things I noticed different in a quick preview. I’m sure there’s other stuff.

Last edited:
   / How do you tell what year your tractor is? #7  
Not sure why it matters, but if selling I would just refer to the date of purchase on the paperwork as the model year of the tractor...

Mine are now almost 20 years old, so a year or two when selling probably does not mean much.

NO, I am not selling...LOL

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #8  
Any competent New Holland parts counter person can give you the final build date of your tractor if you give them the complete serial number. Yes, you need the serial number to have any chance of getting the correct parts, even filters. When I worked at the dealership I wouldn't look up parts for late model New Holland equipment without a serial number. Many people keep photos of equipment serial number plates on their phone.

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #9  
The engine will certainly have a date of manufacture on it as the engine is what has to meet EPA emissions regs for the calendar year it was made for installation into new equipment. That is different from passenger cars where the regs the engine must meet are based on the model year of the car it is installed into. The engine in your tractor may have been made before or after the tractor was. The serial number is the important thing with tractors. Generally the date of manufacture will be encoded in the serial number. For a newer John Deere tractor with a 17 digit serial number, the date code for the year is the 10th character. Some other manufacturers have a numerical serial number range for specific years.

/ How do you tell what year your tractor is? #10  
Major manufacturer lines get a new name with major emissions changes, but the PIN (Product Identification Number) is the key for parts. The 3 I worked for engineering wise always tracked changes affecting service by S/N or PIN. At old AGCO we went by model and S/N. Cat changed to a 17 character PIN that has all kinds of info but not year of manufacture. It was not important to us. People on assembly line began 2001 finishing up the machine on which they were assembling before Christmas 2000. The big change may come in May, or August, or whenever we had met all he goals for having a new model ready to introduce. And the first 320 excavator of a series built in Japan was probably produced a year or two before the same model produced in France or America. So at Cat it was whether you had a D11R or D11T that was important, along with hours and condition, not year built. I’ve only found year built on my Kubota tractors when the dealers have added on paperwork at trade in day. Like I bought my L6060 in October 2016 but just saw year built 2015 on the paperwork when I traded. It didn’t make a difference to me when I bought it - newly assembled out of shipping rack.