How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #151  
A lot of the work I do is heavy pushing and pulling and a hst just doesn’t cut it. It all depends on what you are doing with your tractor

Hmm, I guess I should stop using my dozer to push things since apparently HST trans can’t do work.
IMG_2634.JPG

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #152  
The only thing I have against it is Neil from Messicks deliberately set up that "pull test" to fail.

If you're going to try to measure how much a tractor (any) can "pull" against a stationary object, you don't put it's trans in high range. That is just stupid.

What you're saying Ptsg, makes perfect sense to me, and I agree with you about climbing hills, etc. That's fine. And if that is what the "test" is supposed to show, then they need to do that specific "thing" during the test. But pointing to the HST opening up it's relief valve because some MORON put it in high range to pull against a fixed object as somehow is "proof" that a gear is better than a hydro is just plain silly, and insults the viewer's intelligence.

Hook both tractors up (one at a time) to a wagon pulling a load up a hill if that's what you want to "test". That's fine.

Intentionally tanking a "test" to somehow "prove" something just wastes everyone else's time, and makes the video producer look like an idiot.

Seems to me Messick's must have had a bunch of gear tractors on the lot they were trying to unload that month, and he needed some "help".
If I remember right he put the gear drive also in high range. It still had 50% more pulling power. But people are going to get what they want. I’ve driven my brothers HST and I don’t see why people find it so much easier. I hate that treadle peddle. By the time you reposition your foot you could depress the clutch and shift the shuttle. No more difficult that taking a step. People are basically lazy that’s why most cars are automatic. Myself I love my Kubota MX5400DT. But evidently it’s not for everyone

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #153  
If I remember right he put the gear drive also in high range. It still had 50% more pulling power. But people are going to get what they want. I’ve driven my brothers HST and I don’t see why people find it so much easier. I hate that treadle peddle. By the time you reposition your foot you could depress the clutch and shift the shuttle. No more difficult that taking a step. People are basically lazy that’s why most cars are automatic. Myself I love my Kubota MX5400DT. But evidently it’s not for everyone

That test was flawed in every way imaginable. In low range traction will be the limiting factor and the pull will be very similar. If you want to prove anything hook a wagon to both tractors and pull them up a hill. In theory the gear tractor should win that one but I wouldn’t be surprised to see the HST make a comparable time due to its ability to match the speed to the load whet the geared is leaving power utilized since you don’t have a gear that perfectly matches the load. A better transmission would minimize that but that Kubota in the test only has a 4 speed transmission with a high/low range gear box behind it.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #154  
A lot of the work I do is heavy pushing and pulling and a hst just doesn’t cut it. It all depends on what you are doing with your tractor
A 60 HP HST would handle your tasks.

Last edited:
   / How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #155  
Hmm, I guess I should stop using my dozer to push things since apparently HST trans can’t do work. View attachment 763453
Is that really an HST or is it a power shift with a Torque converter? Just assumed most dozers were power shift? I know the jd 550 was power shift with a Torque converter.

HSTs can definitely pull and do ground engaging tasks Like the Verasatile /Ford bidirectional tractors
Ford 276
3 range hydrostat

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #156  
Is that really an HST or is it a power shift with a Torque converter? Just assumed most dozers were power shift? I know the jd 550 was power shift with a Torque converter.

HSTs can definitely pull and do ground engaging tasks Like the Verasatile /Ford bidirectional tractors
Ford 276
3 range hydrostat

It’s a power shift with a torque converter. Some of the newer dozers are true HST transmissions with joystick drive control like a skid steer.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #157  
I have used many hst tractors and gear tractors. For what I do a hst does not perform as well as a gear shift. I’m not saying that they can’t do anything I’m just saying that for me a gear shift works better.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #159  
I pull a 2 bottom 14 inch Dearborn plow through some heavy stuff without an issue with an l3901 hat. I I had a kioti in similar horse power gear drive and it choked with the plow. I just plowed 2 acres last week with no issue at all

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #160  
I pull a 2 bottom 14 inch Dearborn plow through some heavy stuff without an issue with an l3901 hat. I I had a kioti in similar horse power gear drive and it choked with the plow. I just plowed 2 acres last week with no issue at all