How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans?

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #311  
Yep don't want that hydro having to move AND pull a load at a reasonable speed :ROFLMAO:

Some European tractors are more friendly for roading but American tractors are garbage for road travel anyway.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #312  
If that was the main goal just drop the gear ratio of the hydro trans. With enough gear ratio you can shear the axel shafts which is probably what would happen if you chained down the gear trans so it can’t loose traction. You could fix that problem with planetary hubs which most larger equipment has already.
Yes. Expense - cost/benefit. Add a ~ 0-1mph range on the HST ... OR a bigger pump and motor pair on the 3 range. Hardly anybody would see a need for that because an HST will already creep, and they dont use their tractor in conditions that stress the limit of its ultimate motive force. Those real world Force conditions have nothing analogous to chaining a gear tractor down. There is torsional windup in the system, tire traction creep, tractor motion, and clutch slip that limit peak forces in a stall. That and a healthy performance margin built in allows the standard (vs creeper) gear tractor to survive a power stall.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #313  
Not what I was implying. My point is that the learning curve will be less with HST for inexperienced people. Inexperienced people on a gear tractor are likely to abuse the clutch and may see failures more often. They also will not be able to select the correct gear for the task right away.
Exactly what I've been saying in here for a long time.

IF, you don't want to learn how to properly drive a tractor, go buy a hystat and some hearing protection!

There's a lot more to leaning how to drive a tractor than just steering it! Just because you don't know how to drive a gear drive tractor and properly use a clutch, it doesn't mean the clutch is inferior, it means YOU are inferior!

Me, I learned how to drive a tractor when I was a kid, I don't have clutch problems...

SR

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #314  
If you're considering a used HST tractor the main thing to consider is if the Transmission is orphaned. During my last repair, the mechanic said I lucked out, since the failure was not with the transmission. If it had been, they couldn't have repaired it. But they could repair just about any geared tractor's transmission.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #315  
If you're considering a used HST tractor the main thing to consider is if the Transmission is orphaned. During my last repair, the mechanic said I lucked out, since the failure was not with the transmission. If it had been, they couldn't have repaired it. But they could repair just about any geared tractor's transmission.

I had to pay like $800 to have a single gear custom cut for a bucket truck gearbox.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #316  
That very thing happened to me, I went to trade a tractor in, and the stealer offered me such a low price for my trade in I thought he was joking!

He apologized and told me my tractor wasn't worth anything because the mfg had some of them fail and quit using that hydro plus there were no longer any parts available for the hydro that was in it!

I took it back home and as it still worked fine; I sold it at a great loss...

SR

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #317  
I had to pay like $800 to have a single gear custom cut for a bucket truck gearbox.
You got that cheap. And, if was me, I would consider a custom one off, cut part at $800 to be inexpensive and fair trade.
Just the front ring gears on my 4 Wheel drive tractor are $400 each.

But YOU CAN STILL GET THEM. You can not in any way, get any parts for some older HSTs, even at the rebuild level. If and when they fail, they are more than the total worth of the tractor to fix. If someone was to create a shop that specilises in rebuilt HSTs, that would be a money maker. The junk yards of these orphans have all been scavenged already. :)
That said, I would still pick a HST over a geared tractor for my particular situation and use. :)

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #318  
Thread cracks me up.

Just like manual vs automatic wars in vehicles.

Manual guys: ‘ I’ll never let fluid shift for me’ ‘I need to feel the power’ ‘I must be in control’ ‘autos aren’t efficient’ ‘that auto won’t make it 100k’

Auto guys: ‘it just works’ ‘smoother’ ‘rated higher than the manual’ ‘what’s it cost to put a clutch in that thing?’

Etc etc… and which of the big 3 offers manual trans in 1500-3500 now?

Fun stuff.

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #319  
I really have enjoyed my HST Kubotas. I still have my dad’s 1975 MF 135 of 46 years with it‘s Very stiff straight-down dual stage clutch and 2x3 transmission. It has a revered spot under the shed as a family keepsake. We admire it and tell old stories as I wipe the dust and spider webs off of it. 😃

/ How does an HST compare in pulling power with the same tractor and a gear trans? #320  
More power to the end of the pro shaft or tires to the ground with manual. But when doing grading dirt work or any activity requiring a lot of back and forth work a HST really shines. Worth every penny, so much more efficient and less tiring than the gear setups.