How does JD 4000 series cab heat work?

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work? #1  

Ramairfreak98ss

Silver Member
Tractor
Ferris/Simplicity/John Deere
JD says its a 15k btu heater, does it run heavy draw off of the alternator/electric system or does it work through a heater core system like a car to just use the "available" heat from the diesel engine? Just wondering, since if you were using it with all the lights on or powering anything electronic and then had the heat on full blast how much power it uses.

How about the AC? Im assuming thats 12v draw?

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work? #2  
I have a 3720 cab and it's just like automotive one. The heater is off of a heater core and the A/C has a mechanically driven compressor. The extra power from the alternator just run the blower fan, that's it.

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work?
orlo said:
I have a 3720 cab and it's just like automotive one. The heater is off of a heater core and the A/C has a mechanically driven compressor. The extra power from the alternator just run the blower fan, that's it.

Cool, thats what i wanted to hear. I just figured JD had some huge amp draw on the elec. system to run a tiny compressor in the cab top or the same for a heater that ran off 12v. Since your saying its all run off the engine, physically, thats better engineering than i guessed it would be :)

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work? #4  
It works good.

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work? #5  
I have a 3320 open station but strongly considered the cab. The main reason I didn't go with the cab was dollars. Is the cab worth the extra $5000? I would use the air more than the heat. Is there there any visibility restriction on loader work? or do you feel cramped at all?

/ How does JD 4000 series cab heat work? #6  
Kahuna said:
I have a 3320 open station but strongly considered the cab. The main reason I didn't go with the cab was dollars. Is the cab worth the extra $5000? I would use the air more than the heat. Is there there any visibility restriction on loader work? or do you feel cramped at all?
The only visibility restriction exists with the loader completely raised all the way. I have to lean forward slightly to see the bucket due to the ceiling of the cab. I don't feel cramped at all, but difficult to carry an extra person unless they are small but that is true for any CUT. Getting in a out of cab is a little more effort than an open station. I think cabs will continue to become more popular. Rare to see a few years ago but now I see more at dealers. Companies have realized the market is there. Besides price, the only significant downside is hitting something with the cab. You have to be aware of what is around you, including gutters, trees, lines, posts, overhangs etc. Trees are not much of an issue where I live. Once you have a cab, very few will ever go back to open station.