How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500?

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
There was a plastic insert screen at the filler on my tractor and it's not there any longer. My hunch is the nozzle of the fuel can punched it into the tank when I was refilling. I noticed the fuel gauge doesn't drop any farther than 1/2 tank so I'm thinking the insert is interfering with the float. I tried using a hooked piece of wire to snag it but no luck. Any suggestions? Removing the tank (if it would help) doesn't look real easy as it sits back toward the dash.

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #2  
Can you see it in the tank? Shouldn't it float?

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #3  
Is it stainless or ferromagnetic? Perhaps a magnet will get it close to pull out with needle nose, you may also be able to drag it up towards the nozzle with the magnet outside the tank..

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #4  
Just thinking out loud.

How about parking your tractor on a relatively steep slope? If the insert is not snagged, it should make its way downhill and narrow your search area. You could use one of these tools to retrieve the insert once you locate it:Stanley Proto J2345 Proto 23-1/2-Inch Flexible Retrieving and Holding Tool - Amazon.com.

I doubt whether the insert is going to cause any problems, but I would make an effort to retrieve it if I was in your shoes.

Steve

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500?
No I can't see it. It's a round, rigid black plastic screen that was pressed in the filler neck I guess to catch debris or large contaminates. Now it's down inside the irregular shaped also black plastic fuel tank which seems to have a float mechanism and fuel pick up complicating things down at the bottom. Do they make a mini flexible camera with a light (and a grabber) that can be submerged in fuel? :D

Just thinking out loud.

How about parking your tractor on a relatively steep slope? If the insert is not snagged, it should make its way downhill and narrow your search area. You could use one of these tools to retrieve the insert once you locate it:Stanley Proto J2345 Proto 23-1/2-Inch Flexible Retrieving and Holding Tool - Amazon.com.

I doubt whether the insert is going to cause any problems, but I would make an effort to retrieve it if I was in your shoes.

Steve

Here we go, maybe this Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera along with the grabber? No it's not causing any real problem at this point, I just can't trust the fuel gauge. It stayed around 1/2 for a long time finally I thought something's wrong and filled it, it took about 4 gallons (the tank only holds 5). Once filled it goes to full.

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #7  
Here we go, maybe this Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera along with the grabber? No it's not causing any real problem at this point, I just can't trust the fuel gauge. It stayed around 1/2 for a long time finally I thought something's wrong and filled it, it took about 4 gallons (the tank only holds 5). Once filled it goes to full.

It looks like that camera has a "length" of less than 8 inches -- I don't think it would help. The easy way out is to just top off your full tank after every use -- or during the course of the day under continuous use.

Steve

It looks like that camera has a "length" of less than 8 inches....
Steve

Steve it looks to be around 2' long in the video at the link but he also mentions it being water resistant, not waterproof. I'm doing as you suggest taking the easy way out but this means sometimes making a special trip when my fuel can is empty to top off the tractor. I'll see what the dealer suggests next time I'm by.

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #9  
A mechanics mirror (similar to a dentists but extendable) and a penlight should let you see the position of the strainer...which should give you enough perspective to use a stiff wire to fish the screen close to the opening...however you may have a time getting it out of an opening that it was pressed into...?

/ How Does One Get Out the Screen Which Fell Into the Fuel Tank, B7500? #10  
Hmmmm ..... my B7500 never had one. I guess that's a good thing!