How does your garden grow?

/ How does your garden grow? #1,792  
I don't bother in the winter. Supposedly, you can grow lots of stuff through the winter here in central Va. I told one of our master gardener interns that I cannot garden naked in the winter; so, it's no fun. She says you can. I said, "not comfortably".

I've some mustard to cut again out in the little garden. Did one cutting on it way back. Grows very slowly.

Ralph

/ How does your garden grow? #1,793  
I don't bother in the winter. Supposedly, you can grow lots of stuff through the winter here in central Va. I told one of our master gardener interns that I cannot garden naked in the winter; so, it's no fun. She says you can. I said, "not comfortably".
And you will be worse off than Industrial Toy's carrots. :eek:

/ How does your garden grow? #1,794  
I checked a "Zone Chart" and recommended planting dates,, I came up with Zone 7A,, IIRC,,
For that zone,, I should already be direct seeding several cold weather crops,, :eek:

When to Plant Vegetables in Salem, Virginia - Garden.org

Type in your zipcode,, and you get a kinda complete list of planting dates,, for both early, and late gardens,,

HECK, some of my fall garden stuff needs to be started in 2-3 months,,
WOW,, where did 2020 go?? :laughing:

/ How does your garden grow? #1,795  
I have a neighbor who always has the earliest garden,,,
His "trick"?
He puts the plants he wants to start REAL early in pots, those pots get placed in a wheelbarrow,,

Each warmish day, he rolls the wheelbarrow out into the driveway to get natural sunlight,
he says he never needs a grow light,, the sun does a perfect job.

I have a few seeds planted, in a little yard cart,, with two CFL bulbs for heat,,
the dirt cups are covered in plastic, and covered with an old moving pad,,

The soil is warm, and wet,, hopefully, something will happen,,,,

/ How does your garden grow? #1,796  
We planted from seeds in starter pots & transplanted to garden when we had afew warm days..
We went out to the garden yesterday, 54* & added "garden soil" to the base of the plants..
We NOW have Broccoli sprouts coming out..
We STILL have to cover the plants every now & then, just for piece of mind.. but I think they would do fine if we didnt..
The SC weather is wacky..!! 5 days in the 60's & 70's lows in the 60's & 40's..
THEN 2 days straight of hi's in the 40's & lows in the 20's..!! THEN back to the 60's & 70's..

/ How does your garden grow? #1,797  
Our Kale wintered over despite a snow cover for several days. Wife picked some a couple days ago and said it tastes a lot better than the summer harvest. Not as nearly as bitter. I'll have to trust her... I don't like kale!

/ How does your garden grow? #1,798  
Our Kale wintered over despite a snow cover for several days. Wife picked some a couple days ago and said it tastes a lot better than the summer harvest. Not as nearly as bitter. I'll have to trust her... I don't like kale!

I eat it for my wife :laughing: . . . don't really like it.

/ How does your garden grow? #1,799  
With Kale, I cut out the stem, then chop up the leaves and put it in soups and stews.

/ How does your garden grow? #1,800  
With Kale, I cut out the stem, then chop up the leaves and put it in soups and stews.
Same with my wife... I still don't like it. She tries to slip it in various dishes. Now spinach is a different story.