How hard are armadillos to kill?

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Son-in-law shot one several times with a 10-mm Glock yesterday. Said it took four shots of which three appeared to be good hits dead center from about five feet.

Wife's 85+ year old aunt swerved to hit one this week and said she nearly had whiplash when the huge Buick bounced over it.

Tougher than a Russian tank.

RSKY

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #2  
I knew they were tough, but I never thought they were bullet proof. Maybe in the end of days you can build an armadillo shield to protect yourself.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #3  
Some animals are super hard to kill, what comes to mind are birds like crows, ducks and geese the feathers simply deviate the pellets. I have no doubt that armadillos with their armor are hard to kill probably why they have been around for fifty million years. I wonder why they are such of a nuisance? like I understand they dig holes and all, but they also eat lots of nuisance insect, they sound like a necessary evil...I know up north we would like to have them around for the tick's situations.

Last edited:
   / How hard are armadillos to kill? #4  
why are they such of a nuisance?
They are horrible animals really. They dig large holes all over your yard and will make a burrow just about anywhere to sleep for the day. If you have flower beds around your house and they get in there will tear it to pieces. imagine a pile of dirt about the size of a 5-gallon bucket, or more, in an area you're trying to keep neat. I kill them on sight here. The armadillos and gophers just destroy everything given the chance.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #5  
Son-in-law shot one several times with a 10-mm Glock yesterday. Said it took four shots of which three appeared to be good hits dead center from about five feet.

Wife's 85+ year old aunt swerved to hit one this week and said she nearly had whiplash when the huge Buick bounced over it.

Tougher than a Russian tank.

RSKY
Hmmm, you must have "industrial" armadillos there? (3) hits with a 10-mm! I have killed a bunch. I use a 410ga, and sneak up to about 10 yards away. Yes sometimes this does not kill them but most times yes. They are tough as nails, but I never heard of something like (3) shots with a 10mm not doing the job.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #6  
Amazing what y’all got down there. Fire ants, Armadaillas, wild pigs, them giant flying water bugs….nuff to make y’all crazy.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #7  
Amazing what y’all got down there. Fire ants, Armadaillas, wild pigs, them giant flying water bugs….nuff to make y’all crazy.
LOL, you got that right. I like wildlife but it can be troublesome. Even the Deer here are a PITA for me. If you plant a tree, you have to build a guard around it or the Bucks will scrape the bark off and tear limbs off. Guess everyone has issues to some degree if you live far enough out from towns. I will add to the list racoons and moles. It's always something. :)
I gave up long ago having bird feeders. Bird feeders begat raccoons, squirrels - which knocked a lot of seed on the ground, which begat mice, which begat snakes. Crazy compared to living in town.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #8  
LOL, you got that right. I like wildlife but it can be troublesome. Even the Deer here are a PITA for me. If you plant a tree, you have to build a guard around it or the Bucks will scrape the bark off and tear limbs off. Guess everyone has issues to some degree if you live far enough out from towns. I will add to the list racoons and moles. It's always something. :)
I gave up long ago having bird feeders. Bird feeders begat raccoons, squirrels - which knocked a lot of seed on the ground, which begat mice, which begat snakes. Crazy compared to living in town.

Oh, I forgot, you got venomous snakes and giant spiders, too. :oops:
Bout the only thing I have to deal with is ground hogs holes, raccoons and some deer.

Nothing up here much that’ll bite you and kill you, or anything flying around the size of a cheeseburger. 🤣

I did get bit by a black widow on the chest 5 years ago. Turned my pec into a over-ripe banana lookin thing a while.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #9  
Oh, I forgot, you got venomous snakes and giant spiders, too. :oops:
Bout the only thing I have to deal with is ground hogs holes, raccoons and some deer.

Nothing up here much that’ll bite you and kill you, or anything flying around the size of a cheeseburger. 🤣

I did get bit by a black widow on the chest 5 years ago. Turned my pec into a over-ripe banana lookin thing a while.
Forgot about Black Widow and Brown Recluse spiders. Have lots of Black Widow's but at least they seem to stay in the web most of the time. Never bitten but a few close calls. Also, worthy of mention are scorpions. They have been HORRIBLE this year in the house.

/ How hard are armadillos to kill? #10  
Seriously if the Dallas Cowboys would move out wouldn't be much of a reason to live there...😉