How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator?

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #1  

jbepyx

Tractor
steiner 420
I've been a member of this forum for a long time and appreciate the advice offered hear. I'm the proud owner of two Steiner 240's. I have two properties and they serve me very well for mowing, dirt moving and snow blowing. Last summer the machine in the picture moved 1000 yards of fill and gravel and it was maybe the best summer of my life!!! I personally think that the flexibility, power and durability make Steiner/Ventracs a very good long-term value for a mechanically inclined homeowner like me.

My place in Maine has tree stumps that are out of range for a 22 HP machine. I can push 24" and smaller stumps around once they are loose, but I can't get them dislodged.

I'm considering renting a mini-excavator to dig about 10 stumps in the 12 to 24" range. My question is, how steep is the learning curve for a mini-excavator for someone who has lots of hydraulic tractor experience? Can I reasonably expect to dig 10 stumps in a day starting with no mini-excavator experience?

Last edited:
   / How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #2  
I rented this mini X this past summer and it was a breeze to operate. I loved every minute I had to use it, dug out my ditch, set in culverts and dug out 3 big stumps in the back with it. I was sad when they picked it up. :cry: I had no previous experience with a mini x, I would say it may be doable in a day if you stay on it, once you figure out a method with the stumps it should go pretty quickly.

x3.jpg
x4.jpg

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #3  
Possibly depending on excavator size and soil conditions you can do it. I know that in my area for a 24 inch hardwood oak you would need a midi size excavator to stand a chance of getting it out.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #4  
Hard to say unless you can advise what mini ex you have in mind.

In my experience a new operator (who would have experience on loaders and other farm related equipment but no mini ex. experience) on my equipment would be expected to pull the 10 12" stumps in a day. I would budget 30 minutes / stump for 12" stumps on lighter soils depending on how green / smart the guy would be.

On 24" stumps or hard clay/rocky soil types 10 stumps of this size with a mini ex., new operator, 24" stump on hard ground would be a very very big day and unrealistic to expect an inexperienced hired man to do.

after 6 decades I could budget popping out of my softer ground 10 24" stumps in a day but thats a big day and I think I am pretty darn good with my excavators.

a lot will depend on what size of mini ex you be talking about, soil type, stump size, operator smarts and distance between stumps and working space around the stumps. I'm pretty good at identifying / breaking horizontal roots. Some I have seen really suck at it.

a 2,000# Cat mini ex (like the 300.9 series) versus my 12,000# 305 mini makes a really big difference.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #5  
Pretty easy to operate. I rented one for a weekend expecting it to take much longer than it did. Dug out 112' length x 4' deep trenches for a barn foundation in a few hours (all sand), then yanked out some small trees, and returned it for only a 4 hour rental.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #6  
ABLVV84AamfI1xJDTuzI5s6vUo8H2WdWHb-xU3dJrQRezc1IrV7bLQzvb53mHFvJaclmSdbskvpTbWdRWJEToJkqbcEwBmsEVcR7HuRUB_MWUaZYHJZFAD8UaON8PBSoFln3whckUOmKBbSfe1CqVM2rByqwoJY7OzKPT-XWA7FDOvUGrWpH3MPtHSi5QoYqLoon6gnP1C7z_lNTAoAAlWufb7A-6M3q4YcO7z5FjRSXunTHm1CKbRF7YlJjCurbiL2gFjgaIPyo_lwcYcYWDAYw2Uxgs3FRMlryZUcbSV8AuCQNyOSJFVSd1xx2wGCLcxMzlJYOeyR2NYB_E18mGxDnudjr2wPSqAZXCwIyCUzoZF5cwgFQS4zX_KJ1JRyxSyqUZd5ox5VTgFuQcCgrH4W0LXOcBiljg2YuojoCg5nAgqOylcjMgmhhpOxcMzDy_rdQfEjbXBW6IFsB2gi-jd7kdAk8q_A84F0K7WVCfAmNUjxfDEDbC_xSG8y0A03hEg1n1SOXIEbsoGhJ0_KJN6n0rRC0TY3n1U0AKhYncqhr65AFtKD9RM-KYeJgSBVK6tv7yuDB8ZeVMFaOtNJ2kXOAE40kMe02tjQHtNW_ovnWwzWAgjgVotOhlKcwqJ-tr7sjVF_cF5zDyMJaDpsyYUgX7_hKdOF9eMn5eR433vRrcAqzGCYa2TUUIefZHHYznOmnAbEmZSwtvN5EDJxgthIMwjUjGkpLJyTyTp5FuXMK0Ul-yH46Q4sOY-LiGk46WJ9IvDxwf2zo94WXTwcRxhxYURPhiivaoDGsX7NKgMtg7_VkOIAOfLgxZ-asbZYAxBZUnohGQBawPPk40JU48vzC6tmhVZCqGPHgBYmQcGaC36q4iHfBfugVTFsyUJ6wrm31yM3xUn8xF8I2HZpZEbM_XfDlhumGYz9nqYgFDA2KJbWn=w450-h338-s-no-gm

I've been a member of this forum for a long time and appreciate the advice offered hear. I'm the proud owner of two Steiner 240's. I have two properties and they serve me very well for mowing, dirt moving and snow blowing. Last summer the machine in the picture moved 1000 yards of fill and gravel and it was maybe the best summer of my life!!! I personally think that the flexibility, power and durability make Steiner/Ventracs a very good long-term value for a mechanically inclined homeowner like me.

My place in Maine has tree stumps that are out of range for a 22 HP machine. I can push 24" and smaller stumps around once they are loose, but I can't get them dislodged.

I'm considering renting a mini-excavator to dig about 10 stumps in the 12 to 24" range. My question is, how steep is the learning curve for a mini-excavator for someone who has lots of hydraulic tractor experience? Can I reasonably expect to dig 10 stumps in a day starting with no mini-excavator experience?
Do they have to be dug? Locally, a rental mini ~11000 with insurance, fuel, hauling will run you ~1000/day. Hiring out (leaving stumps on site) would run 1500-2000. Stump grinding hired out would cost me ~ 75/stump. Rent a large stump grinder ~500/day

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #7  
Do they have to be dug? Locally, a rental mini ~11000 with insurance, fuel, hauling will run you ~1000/day. Hiring out (leaving stumps on site) would run 1500-2000. Stump grinding hired out would cost me ~ 75/stump. Rent a large stump grinder ~500/day

$1,000 a day? That's insane. I paid $550 for 4 days! Shop around.

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #8  
$1,000 a day? That's insane. I paid $550 for 4 days! Shop around.
4 days including taxes, insurance, fuel and delivery? For what size?

/ How hard is it to learn to use a rental mini-excavator? #9  
I grind all my stumps. Used to yank them out but then you have to deal with the hole and stumps don't like to burn in the burn pile either. Much easier to grind them 10-12" below grade least in my opinion and yes, I own a stump grinder.