How hard is TIG to learn

/ How hard is TIG to learn #51  
I think part of the reason it's not included much in schools anymore is likely because to teach multiple students you need an acetylene manifold system. I've heard even in apprenticeship training there's not much focus on stick welding either.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #52  
There's not a lot to a manifold system. Most welding schools I know of do teach stick, unless a person has a special focus.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #53  
An acetylene manifold has to have a flashback arrestor and the cylinders stored in a separate area. Then you have plumb it all it all in so it's a little bit involved. They still teach stick but where it used to be the main focus, that has shifted to MIG and flux-core. Wire feed processes have taken over most fabrication shops but there's still a lot of field work that is so much easier to do with stick.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #54  
I O/A welded for 30+ years before I got my first MIG. I got reasonably good at MIG but it took time and then bought a TIG. Hallelujah! TIG is an electric version of O/A and great welds happened almost immediately! I can see the puddle and control the heat perfectly with the pedal.

I feel like I have 30 years of experience with the TIG.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #55  
I learned on oxyfuel and find it is by far the easiest way to learn about puddles and puddle control. As I do most of my welding outdoors I have to choose between stick, oxyfuel and flux core. If the job allows it I usually choose oxyfuel. I don't use it for welding much more than 10-12 gauge sheet but I just find it more satisfying. It's actually pleasant to weld with gas. No smoke. Like TIG, it is also much easier to clean up welds as you are welding and leave a weld that doesn't need much prep before painting than either stick or flux core. I'm glad I learned in oxyfuel and still use it. .

/ How hard is TIG to learn #56  
It depends on the goal. Most of the worlds work is done in steel and a mig is the real workhorse for results in a small shop. Start there and see whats left once that is in place, I am a career welder and got them all, I could really do most of it small mig.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #57  
I agree 100%. Additionally the same setup can be used to braze and brazing is a very valuable and underutilized bonding method. Oxyfuel is also the welding kit that doesn't need electricity or helmet. And, it's just plain fun to do.

Yep. I started with brazing, then oxyfuel welding and while I haven't done any oxy welding since starting to stick weld, brazing has come in very handy a couple of times already....as recently as last night. I'm still a novice at brazing, but have managed to get strong, if not super pretty, results so far.

/ How hard is TIG to learn #58  
I also step up to a welder with a 220v stick. A lot less going on than with a tig. For a lot less $$$, you can pick one up and it'll handle the big stuff. You will need the welder with TIG, and then a tank and the consumables, a hand full of rods, and the welder with a stick, and you are good to go. You can just have a torch, thumb-slide or foot peddle and a rod with TIG. There's a lot more going on. If you're just an OK sort of MIG welder, I'd go to stick with the easiest welding process.