How Has Tractor Buying Changed?

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed?
I just ordered hydraulic cartridges for my mower from Hydraforce. I was totally shocked to hear 18 week delivery!. Apparently Deere and CAT have to wait the same amount of time for their orders of hydraulic components. I just need to cut my grass. Some people need to make a living (and pay for) their equipment.

Is there something so special about those hydraulic cartridges that you cannot order something close enough to work from a hydraulic parts supplier?
Or how about this, most farming towns still have a hydraulic shop - often just an innovative guy with a lathe and a stock of basic parts. Like a lot of small business people he's probably sort of tired of wondering if he's going to be bored to death or starve first.

Seems like it would be worth a few hours casting around for a way to cut your non-responsive dealer out of the profit loop. I'm getting as tired as you seem to be with these lazy dealerships. After all, if the dealer really cared about you or his business he could do either of those things himself and do them even easier than you can.
rScotty.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #12  
We've found first hand most sales people, unless they've been in the business for 20-30 years, don't know jack about what they're selling. The district reps seem to know even less no matter the brand.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #13  
Is there something so special about those hydraulic cartridges that you cannot order something close enough to work from a hydraulic parts supplier?
Or how about this, most farming towns still have a hydraulic shop - often just an innovative guy with a lathe and a stock of basic parts. Like a lot of small business people he's probably sort of tired of wondering if he's going to be bored to death or starve first.

Seems like it would be worth a few hours casting around for a way to cut your non-responsive dealer out of the profit loop. I'm getting as tired as you seem to be with these lazy dealerships. After all, if the dealer really cared about you or his business he could do either of those things himself and do them even easier than you can.
rScotty.

It's comments like this that make me realize how good I have it. There's...at least 4 hydraulic shops I can name in a 20 mile radius.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #14  
Jacobson wants around $400 each for the two spool cartridge valves. They speced them with their own seals from Hydraforce. Finally I found similar ones, but with regular seals for around $40.00 each. They are unique to the Hydraforce (4WD) valve block they go into.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #15  
Agree that a good sales person is important to a dealership.... however finding a dealer/salesperson that will take the time to work with you is beyond impossible in our experience. My wife and I have been on the hunt for a 50-70hp tractor for several months New/used doesnt matter to us. Of the several dozen dealers we've visited here's how it usually goes. We pull in, walk the lot, look at several tractors, no one approaches us about any of these tractors, we have to wait to talk to a sales person, when we do finally get to talk to one ... we have to pull teeth to get any information out of them ... they act as if we are wasting their time. Usually we end up leaving frustrated that no one seems to care about earning a sale.

I visited two dealers this past weekend, one 2 hrs from us. 5 sales guys watched me pull into the parking lot Sat morning, I checked out the tractors for about 20 minutes before I had to go inside and request a sales person to assist me. Waited for a sales person for another 15 mintues(no one else was on the lot or in the shop). When we finally got out to look at the tractor, a NH t4.75 with a FEL, I asked about what he could tell me about the options on the tractor... i got "Its a 2015 NH 4.75 with a FEL". Again I had to pull teeth to get any kinda info on this thing(which i got very little). I did get to test drive it for about 5 min, at which point with ZERO instruction about the tractor I started to get frustrated with the experience(and my wife wouldnt get on it as she was unsure of everything). Stop the tractor and asked the guy what they were looking to get for it. He points to a tag and says ... well it says XX,XXX so thats what we are asking. I asked if there was any wiggle room in that price, and got a sharp "Nope". At which point he was paged for a phone call and left us. We left, again with nothing.

You can pretty much repeat this experience i described above over and over at just about every dealer we've gone to. I dont get it at all, the lack of service is infuriating! When we bought our Ferris Zero turn z3200 the owner of the shop took an hour and a half with me going over every detail of the mower. Offering suggestions, comparing to other models, etc. The personal service was fantastic and whenever we've gone back for regular service everything has been timely and again personal. I know we arent buying a 150k tractor but still ... Why can't we find this kind of service among tractor dealers?

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #16  
Recently, I had a problem with my 1952 Ford 8N and called a local dealer to have it repaired. I was told "sorry, we don't work on the old tractors anymore. Too hard to get parts" LOL!!!

Only a half million 8N's made with the best parts availability of almost any tractor. I'm sure it just wasn't profitable for them.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #17  
Recently, I had a problem with my 1952 Ford 8N and called a local dealer to have it repaired. I was told "sorry, we don't work on the old tractors anymore. Too hard to get parts" LOL!!!

Only a half million 8N's made with the best parts availability of almost any tractor. I'm sure it just wasn't profitable for them.

Sad, if they had offered to help with the 8N, I bet you would have considered a new purchase from them.

/ How Has Tractor Buying Changed? #19  
I'm just surprised they didn't take the time to get you to go fill out an on-line customer satisfaction survey! Maybe win a hat!

Dear Lord! When will this stupidity stop?