How hot is the diff area supposed to get?

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get?
Good to know. That would have put the temp at around 190 for that day. Quite hot.

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get?
Good to know. That would have put the temp at around 190 for that day. Quite hot.

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #13  
Real good to know. I wouldn't have imagined it got that hot.

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #14  
Real good to know. I wouldn't have imagined it got that hot.

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #15  
Interesting.

I have an old Ford Industrial TLB from 1963. Going thru ebay, I got a bit of period literature for it. The specs for the operation of the hydraulics that power the loader and hoe specify lift capacity and cycle times for the cylinders at a certain engine rpm and oil temperature. Yeah, they actually printed something in the sales literature that is what I consider hard data! Weird, but true! They list it as 160F. And it does get pretty dern warm.

Given the amazing advances in lubrication technology in the past 43 years, I wouldn't be too concerned at 160F or 190F or for that matter even 210F. Much over that and I'd be afraid the seals would start to harden and degrade.

jb

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #16  
Interesting.

I have an old Ford Industrial TLB from 1963. Going thru ebay, I got a bit of period literature for it. The specs for the operation of the hydraulics that power the loader and hoe specify lift capacity and cycle times for the cylinders at a certain engine rpm and oil temperature. Yeah, they actually printed something in the sales literature that is what I consider hard data! Weird, but true! They list it as 160F. And it does get pretty dern warm.

Given the amazing advances in lubrication technology in the past 43 years, I wouldn't be too concerned at 160F or 190F or for that matter even 210F. Much over that and I'd be afraid the seals would start to harden and degrade.

jb

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #17  
My neighbor bought a new MF couple years back. Large tractor, I'm not sure on model # or hp. They have about seven or eight tractors. He said the transmission and rear end got so hot you didn't want to touch it. Checked all fluids and took it to the dealer. They went over everything. Told him to run it. It's still going strong. I guess everyting is O.K. as I saw him mowing hay with that tractor the other week.

/ How hot is the diff area supposed to get? #18  
My neighbor bought a new MF couple years back. Large tractor, I'm not sure on model # or hp. They have about seven or eight tractors. He said the transmission and rear end got so hot you didn't want to touch it. Checked all fluids and took it to the dealer. They went over everything. Told him to run it. It's still going strong. I guess everyting is O.K. as I saw him mowing hay with that tractor the other week.