How hot on water heater setting?

/ How hot on water heater setting?
Ron, very nice description, thanks!!

I moved BOTH thermostats to the "middle" last night. The middle defined as between the 125 and 150 mark. Guess I'll try it there for while & see what happens.

/ How hot on water heater setting? #32  
RonMar said:
I set mine for just a little over 125F This yields around 130F outlet water temp. Unless you have a really old dishwasher, it probably already has a water heating element built in. they are pretty standard these days.

Water temperature is a key element in achieving clean dishes. A dishwasher's heating element is not designed to heat the water that enters it. Rather, the heating element is designed to maintain the heat of the water that enters the dishwasher. Its a good idea to run the hot water in your sink for a couple of minutes before you run the dishwasher. Just to make sure the water is nice and hot before it enters the dishwasher. If the water is unable to stay hot, it can adversely affect your dishwasher's cleaning ability.

/ How hot on water heater setting? #33  
PaulChristenson said:
Water temperature is a key element in achieving clean dishes. A dishwasher's heating element is not designed to heat the water that enters it. Rather, the heating element is designed to maintain the heat of the water that enters the dishwasher. Its a good idea to run the hot water in your sink for a couple of minutes before you run the dishwasher. Just to make sure the water is nice and hot before it enters the dishwasher. If the water is unable to stay hot, it can adversely affect your dishwasher's cleaning ability.

Our dishwasher has an inline heater. It is specifically designed to heat the incoming water. Says so right in the manual. :)

/ How hot on water heater setting?
I simply let my dogs lick my plates clean before I put them away. The wife of course, doesn't much care for it when I do that!

:rolleyes:

/ How hot on water heater setting? #35  
Richard said:
I simply let my dogs lick my plates clean before I put them away. The wife of course, doesn't much care for it when I do that!

:rolleyes:
Not only that, but the Tellico Improvement And Ladies Snail Darter Chowder Marching Society will be striking you off their guest list, now that you have made this public announcement.

:D:p:D

/ How hot on water heater setting? #37  
PaulChristenson said:

The heating element in ours actually raises the temp inside to around 140 ish if I recall the manual correctly. The tip about running the kitchen sink hot water is an excellent one though, provided of course that the dishwasher is plummed off that hot line, which it usually is:) We do this every time we run it as it saves wear and tear on the internal heating element.

Richard, my wife isn't too keen on the doggie dishwasher either:)

/ How hot on water heater setting? #38  
OK, you fellers made me curious. I knew our water didn't get hot enough to hurt me and I like it that way, so I just now did some checking. We have a 50 gallon dual element electric Rheem water heater and, according to my thermometer, the water only gets to 118 degrees. The manual for our KitchenAid dishwasher does say that if your water temperature is less than 120 degrees to get a qualified person to raise the water heater's thermostat setting. And of course in the efficiency tips, the manual does say to run the water at the nearest faucet to get the hot water there before turning on the dishwasher.

Now I don't know about being "qualified", but I have adjusted water heater thermostats; however, Soundguy said "If you have kids or elderly . . ., the 'safe answer is to set the water temp lower than 'scald' level." I probably meet that "elderly" qualification. And as LBrown59 said, "We set it where we can comfortably wash our hands under the hot water faucet with out having to turn the cold water tap on." Yep, that's about where ours is set.

/ How hot on water heater setting? #39  
PaulChristenson said:

Paul, I thought the same thing until I hooked up my European made Washing Machine and DishWasher.

The Washing Machine has only one water inlet and it is for cold water. The Washing Machine has an adjustable thermostat knob that adjusts the water temp from 70 F to 212 F. The washer is a front loader and the door has an interlock to prevent opening until 60 seconds after the spin cycle is complete.

The installation instructions for the dishwasher state it has an in line heater and also states hot water hook-up not required.

Both units are Eudora.

Piped hot water in Europe from a storage tank is not universal. Many homes still have electric, point of use water heating.

/ How hot on water heater setting? #40  
ultrarunner said:
Paul, I thought the same thing until I hooked up my European made Washing Machine and DishWasher.

The Washing Machine has only one water inlet and it is for cold water. The Washing Machine has an adjustable thermostat knob that adjusts the water temp from 70 F to 212 F. The washer is a front loader and the door has an interlock to prevent opening until 60 seconds after the spin cycle is complete.

The installation instructions for the dishwasher state it has an in line heater and also states hot water hook-up not required.

Both units are Eudora.

Piped hot water in Europe from a storage tank is not universal. Many homes still have electric, point of use water heating.

Yes, you are absolutely correct about piping just cold water to a location...European designers are big advocates of ON-DEMAND Local hot water at the use point...