"How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway"

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
"How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway"

"How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway."

Our recycled asphalt/road base drive needed replacing as it was more mud after a storm than a drive, so here is the saga. Gravel was chosen due to cost as a properly prepared & installed concrete drive would have been in excess of $20,000 & an asphalt drive would have been 1/2 to 3/4 of that. With our expansive soils & the cost factor, going gravel made sense. I estimate our cost to be in the $2,500 - $3,000 range since we did the work ourselves.

What I don't show here are the collateral projects of installing an irrigation valve box & its piping, some buried storm drains & my front sidewalk reconstruction.

At the same time that we were placing road base & gravel on our drive, we did my neighbor's drive, so it was a 2-drive summer. They didn't need any trenching though.

If I had to do it over again, I would have put an equal three part mix of concrete road base, 1" x 3/4" & 1-1/2" x 3/4" concrete gravel.

Picasa Web Albums - Matthew Nicholas - Driveway#

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #2  
Re: "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway"

Just looked at all fifty photos, looks great, I am just curious for the reason for the weed fabric liner in the trench?

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #3  

Man that's a pile of work you did there. It sure looks nice and I like the grading you did. You couldn't dig like that around here. To many rocks. As a matter of fact it's mostly rock around here. So whats the next step in this project? Is it completed?

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #4  

Glad to see your project. Got one coming up myself, though I think I will start with some fill for a base (this is for a pasture drive for occasional use, not the main drive). I have used some ground concrete on my drive (T-rex stuff I imagine). It worked well, looks a lot better than recycled asphalt.

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway"

Just looked at all fifty photos, looks great, I am just curious for the reason for the weed fabric liner in the trench?

The idea is to keep the pea gravel separate from the existing soil.

So whats the next step in this project? Is it completed?

The driveway is essentially complete. I may put down some more road base or crusher fines on a few soft spots; but that will wait for summer. I need to do some sidewalk work that's part way done due to running out of warm dry weather.

It worked well, looks a lot better than recycled asphalt.

I can't stand that recycled asphalt stuff. It tracks in everywhere you don't want it.

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #7  

Nice looking job. I'm hoping to do some major work on my driveways this summer. I'll be using ground asphalt though as I have a source to get it for free if they're grinding in my area.

To do it right I will need around 200 truck loads and since rock is $400/ truck load, free works well for me.

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #8  

Good lord, that's a driveway! Up here, we just dig down 'x' inches to remove topsoil and get to a solid base and then dump pit-run which gets bulldozed. With the trucks full with pit-run, they packed it down nicely and then it's 5/8" less over top.

/ "How I spent my summer vacation" or "How not to do a gravel driveway" #9  

I like the 'service station' spot. Good to be able to top off the tires before you hit the high-way, without having to manuver a truck/trailer/tractor etc. near the garage.

That's a huge driveway you've got Cyril, and I'd do the same if I were in your shoes.