How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor?

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor?
Thanks everyone. I have pretty well decided on the Kubota for a few different reasons including (right or wrong) the larger displacement.

It primarily also boiled down to little things like how hydraulic hoses were routed, protected, and other general protection plates that the others don’t have.

The hydraulics are also more responsive and I like the shift lever on the right side.

In the end, worth the extra money to not second guess myself.

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor? #12  
I'm with the majority, go with the heaviest machine. In my experience it will probably be the Kioti.

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor? #13  
Good choice, if you care to share how much lighter is the Kubota compared to the other two machines?

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor?
Not sure about the New Holland, but the Kubota is right at 200lbs lighter than the Kioti based on specs. I will have the tires all filled with Rimguard so weight shouldn't be an issue after adding the loaders. I would say both will be in that 8,000lb range.

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor? #15  
Hozzie - good choice. If only 200 pounds difference between the two tractor is going to make a BIG difference - you are already a dead man. You will be putting right at 800 # of Rim Guard in each rear tire. Makes the 200# difference pretty insignificant.

Depending upon how you configure the new 7060 you could be surprised on the total unit weight.

I have a Land Pride 1560 grapple on my FEL, Rim Guard in the rear tires, Rhino 950 - 8 foot rear blade on the 3-point. Configured this way - my M6040 weighs 10,100#. That's +/- 20#. The accuracy of the ADM grain scales in Cheney.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Last edited:
   / How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor? #16  
ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL (they never are) more volume ==> more torque. more HP ==> more speed (carries the torque higher into the rpm curve) In theory, you're right, BUT ... the explosion of more volume @ combustion (presumably with more fuel/air) puts more pressure on rings, rods & pistons. The turbo allows you to increase fuel/air pre-compression, but you need higher rpm to spool the turbo, the Kubota should have the higher torque across the rpm curve. What is it being used for? High speed mowing? Probably indifferent. Lower speed ground engagement like skidding logs/plowing? Kubota. JMO

A smaller engine making the same power as a larger engine will have either more turbocharger boost or a higher RPM, or a combination of the two. You do NOT need more RPM to get more turbocharger boost, you can also get more boost by altering the turbocharger geometry and size.

Torque curves in turbocharged engines depend on fueling maps, turbocharger geometry, size, and wastegate setting much more so than engine displacement, assuming more than minimal boost pressures. You can have a very flat or very peaky curve depending on the setup.

Hydraulic performance at low engine RPM depends on the hydraulic pump displacement as flow will be a product of volume/revolution times pump speed.

Three-cylinder engines do sound different from four-cylinder engines. Personally I find threes to sound better than fours. Fours have a very specific buzzy/droning note while threes sound smoother. Larger fours are less buzzy than smaller fours as well, a 250-300 cid four is much less buzzy than a 120-150 cid one.

/ How important is engine displacement on same class of tractor? #17  
In cars I like small displacement, high revs.
Little trucks, the same.
Hauling trucks pulling trailers ..I vote for cubes
Work Tractors..cubes.
I am not a fan of turbos in tractors
Love turbos in cars and especially in race cars.