Buying Advice How long can I get by without one?

/ How long can I get by without one? #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
I have a new home build over in the Rural Living section here.

We're moved in, and with warmer weather arriving soon, I'm moving on to outside work. I have a lot of landscaping/tree removal yet to do, and we've been cutting and skidding with my dad's JD 990. We live on 25 acres, but it's on my parents 200+ acres. I have a 1/2 mile long driveway (mostly flat and through ag fields) that I will have to maintain.

To give you and idea of location and setting, here's my backyard:

IMG_20200228_163053.jpg

Most people here would say I need a tractor, buy I do have access to my father's (he lives right by us). I was considering buying my own tractor so we could supplement with implements he doesn't have (like a land plane, grapple, etc.), plus his isn't a HST, and I like the idea of going that route. I will have about a 2 acres to mow (grass), plus the fields you see above, but we use my dad's 990 and LP 72" bush hog for that. I don't want to buy a tractor for the sake of buying one as it's a big expense, but part of me feels like I would utilize one quite often not to mention sometimes it's pain to borrow equipment.

Since my dad as a 40hp tractor, I thought of maybe supplementing with something like a B series or the new LX series. Either way, I would want a cab since it would be used for mowing and snow removal. I don't know. Seems crazy, but it seems like everyone recommends having a tractor when you live on acreage, but we grew up on 90 acres and my dad just had Ford 8n for much of that time, and we survived :)

So, I suppose, this isn't really a buying question as much as it is just general advice on my situation. I'm sure I would use one, but is it really necessary?

/ How long can I get by without one? #2  
IMHO I do not like to borrow other folks equipment family or not.I would buy my own tractor.

/ How long can I get by without one? #3  
What you really need and maybe not depending on your driveway's length, is a snow clearing machine, the rest is a "Wish List" :)

/ How long can I get by without one? #4  
Does dad's JD have a fel? Make a list of wants, needs and already have it. If sharing is good with dad, then more attachments can be purchased, possibly splitting the costs, benefitting both. I'm keeping my son's quarter warm till he retires. I bought a new tractor as I'll be here for the duration. He's come to the ballpark on a few implement purchases that he'll be using when he gets his new house built and setting up the yard.

/ How long can I get by without one?
Does dad's JD have a fel? Make a list of wants, needs and already have it. If sharing is good with dad, then more attachments can be purchased, possibly splitting the costs, benefitting both. I'm keeping my son's quarter warm till he retires. I bought a new tractor as I'll be here for the duration. He's come to the ballpark on a few implement purchases that he'll be using when he gets his new house built and setting up the yard.

Yep, and we use it a lot (the FEL that is).

/ How long can I get by without one? #6  
What does your dad think?

/ How long can I get by without one? #8  
He is VERY frugal. So he's against it.

My family is about the same way. I don’t spend recklessly but I’m more of the mindset of what use is having money if you won’t buy anything nice. I think if you want a tractor and can afford it you should have one.

/ How long can I get by without one? #9  
<snip>
Most people here would say I need a tractor, buy I do have access to my father's (he lives right by us). I was considering buying my own tractor so we could supplement with implements he doesn't have (like a land plane, grapple, etc.), plus his isn't a HST, and I like the idea of going that route. I will have about a 2 acres to mow (grass), plus the fields you see above, but we use my dad's 990 and LP 72" bush hog for that. I don't want to buy a tractor for the sake of buying one as it's a big expense, but part of me feels like I would utilize one quite often not to mention sometimes it's pain to borrow equipment.

Since my dad as a 40hp tractor, I thought of maybe supplementing with something like a B series or the new LX series. Either way, I would want a cab since it would be used for mowing and snow removal. I don't know. Seems crazy, but it seems like everyone recommends having a tractor when you live on acreage, but we grew up on 90 acres and my dad just had Ford 8n for much of that time, and we survived :)

So, I suppose, this isn't really a buying question as much as it is just general advice on my situation. I'm sure I would use one, but is it really necessary?

Does your dad's have SSQA?

For 25 acres your going to need a tractor near the size of your dad's anyways. I'd recommend you get a grapple and land plane first, then eventually get your own tractor. Choose the implements so they can be used on whatever you eventually get.

You wrote
but we grew up on 90 acres
And now your dad has 200, if you do the same you may wind up with a square mile or so and need a much bigger tractor!! :)

/ How long can I get by without one? #10  
i dont like borrowing stuff either from anybody. But if I helped maintained the equipment and maybe bought somethings to go with it, and we had that relationship where if I broke it and it wasnt a big problem, maybe I would go that route, no sense spending money to just spend it, although caskets dont have pockets either and enjoy it.

I think if you do yeah something 25 hp or less probably would work, B or BX series.

Another option is maybe convince him to sell or trade and maybe you go in together on a new machine.