How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #21  
I don't have any block heaters anymore since being retired I DON'T have to get out unless I want to. However back in the day when I had a diesel pickup I had the block heater on a timer to turn on 2 hours before I was ready to leave for work, always fired up like it was warm weather.

I personally do not think the tank type heaters work as well as the block heaters, never tried a lower radiator hose style.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #22  
Key words here are 'starting batteries' One thing owners seem to neglect until they won't turn the engine over. I load test mine (carbon pile load tester regularly and if they are getting weak, I replace them and clean all the connections (battery terminals, chassis ground and starter lugs positive and negative and coat everything with either di-electric grease or Fluid Film (which appears to work quite well).

I always install the largest battery (physical size and CCA) that will fit in the tray and I always buy my flooded cell batteries from a volume seller, in my case, the local Freightliner dealership because they turn over batteries quickly

Been using Delphi flooded cell batteries, in my case, Group 31 with 1000 CCA.

If I suspect they are weak, even if they start the tractors in warm weather, I replace them, they seem to last about 4 years for me. Same with the cars and truck.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #23  
Here is a cold weather starting kink for when you just got to go and it's C O L D.

Electricity required: ;-)

Plug in any engine heater installed on the tractor.
Hook up a 6amp battery charger even if the battery is charged, anything to add energy /heat to the battery.
Play a hot air gun (hair dryer) on the engine air cleaner can and any connecting hoses.
Cycle the glow plugs several times, try for a full minute of heating time.
With the hot air gun blowing right into the air inlet, crank the engine to start.
Disconnect everything ;-)

That heated air for the intake charge really helps.

IF you have time, just heat the engine block as usual........

This kink is for when you are in a hurry.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #24  
Here is a cold weather starting kink for when you just got to go and it's C O L D.

Hook up a 6amp battery charger even if the battery is charged, anything to add energy /heat to the battery.
Play a hot air gun (hair dryer) on the engine air cleaner can and any connecting hoses.
With the hot air gun blowing right into the air inlet, crank the engine to start.

How many hands does it take to pull this off . . . ???? :cool:

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?

Yeah its "By any means nessassry when it is really cold out and you need it running. My go to is the charger on the battery and a propane portable blast heater running under the tractor pointed at the engine block. Pain in the butt to set up but works within half an hour.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #26  
How many hands does it take to pull this off . . . ???? :cool:
That depends on the engine air intake configuration.

For my tractor, the heat gun just lays on the loader frame and blows right into the air inlet.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #27  
Here is my opinion from the great white north.
When I was farming I was starting my tractor every day in winter. Lots of times the temperature was 40 below 0. YES 40. I always plugged in my tractor for AT LEAST 4 hours. And used a 1500 watt circulating type heater. They have a thermostat so once the coolant is warm they cut out. Tractor started like summer. A cold engine wears fast until warmed up.
I never really noticed the difference on my power bill.
Yes my bill was a bit higher in winter BUT I also had electric heat in the house and 3 cattle water bowels.
So compared to possibly all that have posted you are in near tropical conditions by comparison.
I live in Saskatchewan Canada.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #28  
I don't use a heater of any kind and have had no problem
starting Yanmar in cold weather. My Dodge diesel I don't
plug it in but it has a heater in it but never have used it.
When we lived in Wisconsin temps -30F our Rabbit diesel
always started and it was outside

willy

Here is my opinion from the great white north.
When I was farming I was starting my tractor every day in winter. Lots of times the temperature was 40 below 0. YES 40. I always plugged in my tractor for AT LEAST 4 hours. And used a 1500 watt circulating type heater. They have a thermostat so once the coolant is warm they cut out. Tractor started like summer. A cold engine wears fast until warmed up.
I never really noticed the difference on my power bill.
Yes my bill was a bit higher in winter BUT I also had electric heat in the house and 3 cattle water bowels.
So compared to possibly all that have posted you are in near tropical conditions by comparison.
I live in Saskatchewan Canada.
Where does one buy one of these? How does it plumb in? To the cab hester piping? Only gets down to -20 here. -40 (not counting wind chill) is pretty rare.

This discussion made me think of this video. Some things are messed up in the translation to English but it is still a really cool video of life in Siberia in the winter.