How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #81  
These folks have several options

Webasto fuel burning heaters. Available option on Audi vehicles. ;-)

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #82  
I'm quite certain that if the Mitsubishi engined Hurlimann tractor were not fitted with an "electro-magic" glow controller, the engine would start more easily in cold weather under manual control.

The algorithm that controls pre heat time is baffling.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in?
Ended up having a block heater installed.
20231019_161211.jpg

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #86  
For an engine coolant heater like yours that's installed in the radiator hose, it's best to plug it in overnight if you're dealing with really cold temperatures, especially below freezing (0 degrees Celsius). Leaving it plugged in for just an hour or two might not be enough to warm up the engine properly, especially if it's extremely cold outside. It's possible that your heater might not be working effectively if you didn't notice any difference after using it. In such cases, you might also want to consider using a battery heater to ensure your tractor starts smoothly in cold weather.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #87  
For an engine coolant heater like yours that's installed in the radiator hose, it's best to plug it in overnight if you're dealing with really cold temperatures, especially below freezing (0 degrees Celsius). Leaving it plugged in for just an hour or two might not be enough to warm up the engine properly, especially if it's extremely cold outside. It's possible that your heater might not be working effectively if you didn't notice any difference after using it. In such cases, you might also want to consider using a battery heater to ensure your tractor starts smoothly in cold weather.
A heater placed anywhere other than the block heats the radiator and the block. The problem is that the radiator is designed to get rid pf heat, so you need to cover the radiator. A block heater heats the water in the block. In water heat rises by convection and the thermostat, being closed, keeps the warm water mostly in the block until the heat back flows into the radiator. Block to air convection is why 3 hrs seems to be the practical max time limit. Unless you cover the tractor, then it a little longer.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #88  
I have heaters on 2 diesel rigs, my tractor and the front door stairway outdoors. I dont want to leave them on all night long, nor so i want to use them on days i dont plan on operating that piece of equipment. All my rigs are parked outdoors, but under cover.

after years of messing with outdoor timers, i switched to the Yolink wireless plugs (amazon). These are amazing. I can turn plugs on or off with cell phone from anywhere. I can also schedule time to turn off or on, and day to do it. If i know im going to town tomorrow, i set it to turn on a few hours before planned trip. It does it automatically.

for the steps, it cycles on and off a few times a day to keep snow and ice off of steps. Saves alot of money in electricity yet keeps steps safe.

same system also handles leak detection under sinks and keeps tab of freezer, refrigerator temps and temps in wifes greenhouse and garden shed. Will send alert if temps fall outside of ranges set.

it is so easy to set up. It monitors devices 400’ from hub.

/ How long does an engine coolant heater need to be plugged in? #89  
IMHO if your using a light bulb the best place is under
the oil pan. You could also use a heat lamp and aim it
at the oil pan as a heat lamp is very hot and it would not
take very long to warm up your machine

willy