How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow?

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow? #1  

dixiedrifter

Silver Member
I got an old spike tooth harrow made by King Plow company.

It just so happens to have adjustible depth teeth by loosening a small "u clamp" similar to those used to clamp pipes to flat surfaces.

Problem is that the threads on the clamps have pretty much long since rusted to where they cannot be removed without destroying the clamp, and since the tooth clamp is bent in the shape of a "V" instead of a "U" and AFAIK King is long out of business, I'm pretty sure that replacement will be impossible.

I'm planning on beating and welding... and since their depth will be fixed, how long should they be depth wise from the bar?

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow? #2  
There were 2 styles of spikes available for harrows back in the day. One is what you have. The other had a threaded end. They fit through the bar and were held with a lock nut on top. I've got hundreds of that type boxed up and sitting in my shop.

I was looking through a catalog a while back and ran on to both types, as well as the clamps (V-bolts ???) you referred to. I'm thinking it was a Valu-Bilt catalog, but POSSIBLY was an Agri-Supply book. (I'm at work now and don't have access to either catalog)

Just a guess, but I THINK those spikes were about 4" long (below the mounting bar) in an un-worn condition.

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow?
I went ahead and set them 5" from the bottom of the bar... I figured since I can adjust the angle of the teeth it would be better to go a hair bit too long than an inch too short.. worse comes to worse I could always cut them off with a torch.

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow? #4  
dixiedrifter said:
I went ahead and set them 5" from the bottom of the bar... I figured since I can adjust the angle of the teeth it would be better to go a hair bit too long than an inch too short.. worse comes to worse I could always cut them off with a torch.

Drag 'em around long enough and they'll wear down. You won't need to cut them off ;) In any event, I don't think 5" will be "too long".

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow? #5  
Set the teeth at a depth that you can easily pull the harrows. That 5 inches sounds good.:D

/ How long should the teeth be in a spike tooth harrow? #6  
The one I made was reversable, I could pull it this way //// or this way \\\\ and it made a serious difference on depth and I went about 4 inches deep in our Florida sand
consider that