How Many 5210s Made

/ How Many 5210s Made #1  

JD5210

Veteran Member
Tractor
5210 MFWD
I purchased a low hour 1999 John Deere MFWD 5210 with syncshuttle transmission and a 540 loader a year and half ago. I would be interested to know, if any knows how many 5210s were made or where to find this out? I would also be interested to know what experiences good and bad people have had with them. I replaced all the fluids and filters on the tractors. Fixed a few electrical issues and a few other small things. I have put 140 hours, other than noisy the tractor starts and runs fine.

Thanks in advance for any ones input on this.

/ How Many 5210s Made #2  
I bought a 2000 model year brand new and it has been a very good tractor so far. Only part needing change has been the battery a couple years ago. I really like the tractor even though it is a little loud. I wear ear muffs anyway so the noise is not an issue for me.

Can't help you with the number of tractors made though.

/ How Many 5210s Made #3  
I'm wondering if there is not a "magic key" in the serial numbers?

I've thought about this with my own tractor " how many are there". I'm a little surprised no one has shared an interest on their own, older-new-love (alright I added that part) and how its lead to an answer:confused: Any pros out there?

Those 5210s look like pretty stout machines - with a 540 loader I'm thinking you can do some damage.:thumbsup:

/ How Many 5210s Made #4  
I, too, have a 1999 5210 MFWD which I bought with 850 hours about 7 years ago, now I have 1350 hours. I've replaced one battery and done all the fluid and filter changes at 1000 hours. I have not done the valve adjustment called for, does anyone have an opinion on that? Oh, and I did replace the seat cushions with stock, they're not cheap!
Tractor runs great. I added a Quicke Q720 FEL which is heavier than the JD versions, and I'm about to replace all 4 tires (ouch!) because the fronts are shot, rears leak calcium, and I'm upgrading to bigger and heavier duty tires which require appropriate, corresponding sizes when upsizing the front. Mime came with the 8.3/24 and 13.6/28 4 ply, too lightweight for my loader and applications.
I wear hearing protection when doing any actual work with it, but don't bother when moving it around or scraping the driveway.
I'm really glad I bought this size. I considered a compact, but due to their popularity they were about the same price and this is much more machine for my 20 acres. I foresee keeping it "forever." I sure like to look at pictures of bigger JDs but truth be told I have no need for more machine than this.
The biggest shocker of my story -- I bought this on ebay. By far the most expensive thing I've ever bought this way but it turned out great, and I even kept in touch with the PO for a few years afterward. It was a win / win situation. He got more than the dealer would give him on a trade-up (he picked up another 100 acres to farm so needed to go bigger,) and I got a tractor that I could sell now for more than I paid back then.

/ How Many 5210s Made
Bitternut and 2fast2 thank you for sharing your experiences on your 5210. I have read the owners and technical manuals, but getting actual experience is always the best. Please share more if you have time. I as well use ear protection when running it. It would blow some black smoke, while still cold and I pushed on the throttle. I put JD fuel winter conditioner in it, to be on the safe side for the winter. That cleared up the little smoking it was doing. I do find with the clutch in and just a very little roll it is a lot easier to get it in and out of MWFD.

The reason for my post is that I only see a few on the web-sites. So either there was not a lot made or no one wants to part with them.

I am just real careful putting in park as there have been a few posts of people breaking the park pawl. Would not want to see the bill to fix that.

The following are some URL痴 from the John Deere web-site you may find informative.
Instrument Panel Fogs Up : Fog forms inside instrument panel on some 5000 series tractors, making it hard to read gauges
Leaking Fuel Cap : Solve a leaky fuel cap on some older 5000 series tractors
Front End Noise : Gear backlash causes noise on 5000 series tractors

/ How Many 5210s Made #6  
Somewhere here I posted a thread about a fuel cap issue. Turns out I had the wrong fuel cap on my 5210, it was not vented. Thats how I bought the tractor. I went to the dealer and they didn't have the "right" one, but the one off my Gator XUV 850 D fit perfectly and was vented, and they had that one in stock for several dollars cheaper, so I bought that and have had no problems since.
I forgot about that issue already :)
These tractors aren't as uncommon as it might seem. There are three in my area (by word of mouth) but I think people don't park them out front so how would you know? People come over, see my tractor, say "That's a nice tractor, my FIL has the same tractor, he loves his, too." etc.
So far, that makes 5 or 6 that I know of, so Deere made at least that many :laughing:

/ How Many 5210s Made #7  
2fast2, RE the valve adjustment, next time you're at the dealer ask the Service Manager if the valve clearance gets looser or tighter as the hours pile up. If they get tighter, adjust them.

/ How Many 5210s Made #8  
The dealer I work at sold 88 5210's. I assume other dealers had similar numbers. It is a popular model for golf courses when equipped with turf tires, loaders and backhoes.