How many buckets equal one yard

/ How many buckets equal one yard #21  
We're talking about the volume of the empty bucket, not whether the material in the bucket is fluffy, dense, etc...

Yes, I realize that. Just pointing out the fact that if he DUG a tight cubic yard, the product dumped if measured would be greater than a cubic yard. Just something to keep in mind depending which method he uses to determine the actual volume of his bucket.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #22  
I will give an example for clarification (I hope). I once had an excavating business (I sold out to my two partners).

Our 300 Class excavator had a 42” wide digging bucket with a capacity of 1.5 cubic yards. Six scoops ( 9 TIGHT yards) would FILL a 12-14 cubic yard dump truck.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #23  
Yes, I understand the concept of fluffy material, and loosening up packed material and trying to get it back into the same sized space that it came from.

However, the OP is talking about mulch. It's generally fluffy when the guy scoops it up at the mulch yard, fluffy when he dumps it on your trailer, and fluffy when you take it off and spread it. If the guy at the yard has a 1 yard bucket, he's probably giving you more than 1 yard of mulch if he heaps it. Yesterday, I purchased 2 yards of mulch. They guy in the bobcat shook the bucket to make it level before dumping it onto my trailer. No heaping, just one level yard from a 1 yard bucket.

PowerTrac lists the cubic foot capacity of the buckets they sell.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #24  
We're talking about the volume of the empty bucket, not whether the material in the bucket is fluffy, dense, etc...
Finally! Someone with scientific logic. A measurement in volume is the same whether it be dirt, sand, water, concrete, air, etc.

As the material density changes, the amount and weight of material that can fit into the same measured volume also changes.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #25  
Then he would need to see how many 5 gallon buckets it takes to fill his bucket. This is most likely the most foolproof way of determining bucket volume. Rather time consuming though.

It would be best to use a light weight medium to make the job easier.

Yes! That was my point! If the OP wanted to know how many cubic feet of mulch would fit in his bucket, he could fill it using the 5gal pails. The variables in this equation would be the compaction of the mulch in the pails/bucket and if the bucket is level or heaping. Using water as the medium would be more exact.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #26  
I have a PT-422 with I believe is the regular dirt bucket. How many of these full buckets is equivalent to one yard?

Thanks
Frank

The small bucket is listed as 5 cu. ft. and the larger light material bucket is listed as 10 cu. ft. There are 27 cu. ft. in a cubic yard so it would take 5.4 small buckets to make a cubic yard

Since you are measuring, what appears to me to be a Close Proximate Measure, I would think what "Ermemats" offered for a solution above will be close enough.

As others have stated, I think the Operator of the Front End Loader didn't know what he was doing, so dig in and get a rough idea of how much was loaded. Off of the trailer, you could be a little more precise if you hand loaded your Bucket.

Also, In my area, we load and pay by weight, weigh the vehicle coming in the yard, get a ticket and then weigh going out and pay... just hope you didn't buy anything else to add weight to the vehicle, LoL !

Shouldn't be a big deal to measure up the load but your bucket level full or heaped full, your call, do the math, and you should be close enough for an amount.

Luck with the Weight !

Ltr

/ How many buckets equal one yard #27  
I will give an example for clarification (I hope). I once had an excavating business (I sold out to my two partners).

Our 300 Class excavator had a 42 wide digging bucket with a capacity of 1.5 cubic yards. Six scoops ( 9 TIGHT yards) would FILL a 12-14 cubic yard dump truck.

It is called bank dirt in its natural state.if the guy on the cat loader can read the bucket has a plate on it with the information, including the yards struck and heaped.... Big loaders aren't 12 yds they are over20yds..... 3 series excavators take in a lot of territory up to 385's .... jim

/ How many buckets equal one yard #28  
It is called bank dirt in its natural state.if the guy on the cat loader can read the bucket has a plate on it with the information, including the yards struck and heaped.... Big loaders aren't 12 yds they are over20yds..... 3 series excavators take in a lot of territory up to 385's .... jim

Thanks for the clarification.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #29  
My FEL Op Manual lists capacity when the bucket is "struck" and when it's heaped.

And for those who give a dam - - one cubic yard of goose down is the EXACT SAME VOLUME as one cubic yard of lead. The difference being - weight & density.

/ How many buckets equal one yard #30  
There's a logical, simple way to determine the loader bucket volume...

1. Fill the bucket to the brim with water.
2. Drill a drain hole in the bottom of the bucket.
3. Carefully, without spilling a drop, collect all the water in graduated cylinders to precisely measure the volume. (This may take several thousand graduated cylinders. Purchase ahead of time.)
4. Do the math. (Water weighs 8.345 lb/gal.)
5. Weld the drain hole shut.
6. Repeat the process, but make sure the water is heaped this time.

Easy! :D