How many 'o you retired turkeys...

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
How many \'o you retired turkeys...

...Have gone back to work??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just curious.

Last fall, after five years of "retirement" I decided it would make some sense to go back to work until I reach 62 and start collecting social security. So at 58, going on 59, I started " pounding the pavement."

I decided that I did not want to do what I did before, that is work as a salary employee for a steel company. Maintenance engineering was fun but a salary position just demands too much some (probably most) of the time. So I targeted a union position somewhere...preferring to get paid for every minute on the job, and also preferring the choice to walk out the door and let someone else do the work if I felt like doing that.

I had no clue as to whether at almost 59, I would end up at Walmart or in a steel plant (which matched my former experience).

Happy ending...a strong technical background (or ability to BS pretty well) turned up several offers.

So I am punching the clock again (been almost 30 years since I saw my last time clock) and lovin' it! Must be something about hot metal that turns me on /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Been working in an electric furnace melt shop for the last six weeks after starting with this company early January.

Just wonderin' if my situation is unusual, or if there are a lot of "us formally retired turkeys" here at TBN... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, oh! The guys at work have been talking about turkey season lately...hope I'm not the turkey! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #2  
Re: How many \'o you retired turkeys...

I guess you could say we went back to work just a little bit after I retired. I retired in January '89, moved out of the house we sold into a fifth-wheel 3 days later, but then stayed in the same RV park untiil my wife "retired" from her job in September. We then spent nearly two years just traveling, sight seeing, and visiting friends and relatives all over the country. Then I worked 10 hours a day 6 (and sometimes 7) days a week for 4 months in my brother's tire dealership in '91 in Alaska, then we both punched a time clock about 40 hours a week in an RV resort in Virginia in '92, and then I worked, traveling and doing gas leakage surveys in '93 and '94 (they tried to get me to work full time, but I insisted on taking November and December off). Then we quit traveling, but I raised a few goats and rabbits and sold a few pecans, and worked cattle and hay for a rancher for a couple of years, then repaired/rebuilt mechanics' air tools for a couple of years in my own shop at home. Nothing that I'd say paid enough to make a living if I didn't already have my retirement pay; just doing jobs that were fun and made a little pocket change.

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys...

Well Bird, from the response to my question I'd say we may be rare birds after all! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #4  

Lots of retired folks I know can't stand retirement. They get antsy. We had a buy-out where I work a ong time ago. Many folks left with enougth $$ to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. 75% of them got paying jobs and kept working. I see them all over town working part-time jobs just for something to do. Walmart, Lowes, Menard's, local lumber yards, delivery drivers, public service organizations... all kinds of jobs. They enjoy working, socializing, helping their fellow man, etc... Many of them had parents that retired, sat in an easy chair for 20 years and died. They don't want that. They want to stay active and social.

Hey, I only have 22 years to go until I retire! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #5  

Henro, I don't know if I'm still in the honeymoon phase of retirement (6 months) or not, but after a complete change of lifestyle I have to pinch myself regurlarly to see if it is real. Your post is my nightmare. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

However, knowing that all things change, I rule nothing out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm glad your enjoying your new job. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #6  

It took me about four years to get back into things. Between getting the fields ready, planting, weeding, harvesting and selling, I get more time in seven months than most folks do in eighteen months on a regular job.

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #7  

I took an early retirement at 54 in 1998, spent 30+ years negotiating union contracts for a living, but soon got tired of doing nothing so I took a job in the same field I'd spent over 30 years in. Nine months later remembered what I didn't like about what I was doing and retired again. I wasn't ready to stay home with the wife and watch the grandkids all day ( I love them dearly but I don't have the patience I used to have) so I went to Cornell and got certified as a Master Gardener and Master Forest Owner and opened my own tree and lawn care business.
I just turned the business over to my daughter this past January as all my grandchildren are now in school and the wife and I are traveling and spending a lot more time on the farm.
She believes that with retirement 3 strikes and I'm out, we'll see.

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #8  

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of retirement; I wake up, think about going to work, and SMILE, knowing I don't have to!

I've only been retired since last Nov, so I'm still adjusting, but it is a WONDERFUL adjustment for me.

Wife is still working for another 2 yrs, and she's starting to come around to the idea of retirement..................

Looking forward to this summer to rehab our sailboat and see if it still floats.

I'm trying to get my Bota side biz (yard work) going, but might take a real part time job MAYBE......................

Having Fun,
Ron

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #9  

Yes Retirement:

Eight years for me since I was gainfully employed. Between moving across Canada and working on the Play Farm I've been busy.

Every so often I look at the Employment adds, find the odd job I could apply for, consider and forget it. Not that I couldn't use a few extra dollars! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not much I could do anyway other than drink coffee and watch people work.

Got too many other things to do and the days are passing quickly!

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How many 'o you retired turkeys... #10  

I guess I am a little different. Waited until I could draw SS. Then started to enjoy it. Last August company I retired from offered me a part time job of consultant. I took it. Best part of the job is because I retired before full SS age I am only allowed to make $12,800 per year before SS starts to take money back. This limits me and the company on the number of hours I can work for them. I liked my job. Except for the amount of time away from home. It has worked out well for me. The consulting does not require traveling except for a occasional trip to Akron, OH.
So I guess I am still retired. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif