How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals?

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #321  
Actually, you could do the experiment yourself...

but...but...not on my first try... :eek:

Seriously though, I am sure it would work fine. I regularly grab something out of the freezer, throw in fairly warm-to-hot water, and in a matter of minutes it is thawed to what it would be out of the fridge. Never timed it, but seems like only 15 minutes, maybe a little more. If I leave it for a while, it is actually warm and seems to cook faster.

I can certainly see how going straight into the sv setup, you just give an extra 30 minutes to the time.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #322  
Why do I have this nagging feeling that the more I read you guys the closer I am to getting in trouble?

Am curious about the electricity usage as I'm completely off grid, but I'm thinking it probably about same as a crock pot.

<CSIHelper: 0x1639e710>

Max output of the Precision cooker is 800 watts. That enables it to maintain up to four gallons of water up to 210F so presumably it takes a lot less power to maintain a couple gallons at 135F. If you cook in an insulated container (many people use small coolers with a corner cut out of the lid) then presumably it would be even more efficient.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #323  
but...but...not on my first try... :eek:

Seriously though, I am sure it would work fine. I regularly grab something out of the freezer, throw in fairly warm-to-hot water, and in a matter of minutes it is thawed to what it would be out of the fridge. Never timed it, but seems like only 15 minutes, maybe a little more. If I leave it for a while, it is actually warm and seems to cook faster.

I can certainly see how going straight into the sv setup, you just give an extra 30 minutes to the time.

Yes, I think the 30 minute rule for individual portions should be more than adequate. Again, the nice thing about sous vide is that "over cooking" for a while really doesn't matter if you use a bit more time.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #324  
Yes, I think the 30 minute rule for individual portions should be more than adequate. Again, the nice thing about sous vide is that "over cooking" for a while really doesn't matter if you use a bit more time.

I think that if I can make nearly perfect steaks every time is the biggest thing for me. But the fact that you can "hold" it there for an extended time and then sear it for a minute just before serving is a close second.

So often it seems when grilling or frying, timing can get messed up. Particularly if you have guests for dinner.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #325  
I think that if I can make nearly perfect steaks every time is the biggest thing for me. But the fact that you can "hold" it there for an extended time and then sear it for a minute just before serving is a close second.

So often it seems when grilling or frying, timing can get messed up. Particularly if you have guests for dinner.

Particularly if you have talkative guests or have spent a few hours quenching your thirst before starting to grill. I always seem to run into a crunch time right at the critical moment of grilling where someone is asking a question about setting the table or "is the corn ready to go in" or "where's the beer", something like that which inevitably is distracting and even if it doesn't result in a dreaded grilling error certainly makes grilling less relaxing. I look forward to being able to get everything else out of the way and then just block out a few minutes before sitting down to eat and doing the searing in peace.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #326  
Particularly if you have talkative guests or have spent a few hours quenching your thirst before starting to grill. I always seem to run into a crunch time right at the critical moment of grilling where someone is asking a question about setting the table or "is the corn ready to go in" or "where's the beer", something like that which inevitably is distracting and even if it doesn't result in a dreaded grilling error certainly makes grilling less relaxing. I look forward to being able to get everything else out of the way and then just block out a few minutes before sitting down to eat and doing the searing in peace.

This is EXACTLY what I mean.

Oh man, just look at what a difference it makes, captured in the picture at the top of this page...:drool:
Why Cook Sous Vide? | Modernist Cuisine

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #327  
Well, got my Anovo today. It's bigger than I thought it would be. I know, pictures or it didn't happen...

For perspective, the floor tiles are 1ft squares.

DSCN3971.jpg

DSCN3972.jpg

An 8 quart pan is not gonna do it...

DSCN3975.jpg

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #328  
   / How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #329  
I just got an email from Anova that mine was delivered. Haven't been home yet.

/ How many of you guys here really, really enjoy cooking and planning meals? #330  
Any updates from the new Sous Vide chefs here. I've been waiting to see pictures of that steak cooked up to a lovely medium rare.