How many still have a Landline in their home?

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #161  
We canceled our landline service about ten years ago. In addition to its lack of use, it kept developing static during rainy weather. I think the company was already minimizing their maintenance of this nearly obsolete infrastructure.

About four years ago, we had fiber run to the house by the same company. After they had left, I was taken back to notice that they had removed the outside telephone connection box and cut all the wiring off flush with the outside bricks. All this was with no questions asked.

On hindsight, I think I had lost the option to reactivate my traditional landline a good while ago. If I decided I wanted a landline again, they would sell a VOIP solution, using the fiber.
If you've got fiber they probably will provide VOIP phone service through the internet. No need for copper.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #162  
Can I have the phone company come out and pull everything is they discontinue service?

I don't think they would do anything. IME, all wiring inside the house is the homeowner's responsibility. Nobody is going to dig up outside abandoned wiring.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home?
I don't think they would do anything. IME, all wiring inside the house is the homeowner's responsibility. Nobody is going to dig up outside abandoned wiring.
I was thinking the apartments where wire is haphazard going every which way on the walls…

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #164  
Phone companies are only responsible to the outside interface (ONI) all house or building wiring is the owners problem even if the wiring was run into the house by the phone company tech. Any and all work on wiring pass the ONI was billable work when I worked as an outside tech.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #165  
Land lines are becoming things of the past. I worked as a lineman for one of the largest companies in the US and they have an active goal to eliminate them. If a line is broken, they won't repair it so if you still have one, pray nothing happens to it. For other customers, they are raising the fees for the analog line to a price most can't or won't want to pay for. I had to disconnect one older fellers line because my company raised the price for his analog line to $750 a month. He was furious too because he said he had that line for over 40 years but he wasn't paying $750 a month for a telephone line..... The infrastructure is old, very old, and they are moving towards fiber optic lines everywhere.
Dunno about where you are, but the telco here has moved to fiber for all but the "last mile". Been that way since the late 00s/early teens.

Phone companies are only responsible to the outside interface (ONI) all house or building wiring is the owners problem even if the wiring was run into the house by the phone company tech. Any and all work on wiring pass the ONI was billable work when I worked as an outside tech.
These 1920 apartment buildings don't have outside interfaces in the modern meaning...

They may have terminal block half way down the wall from the line drop at the third story eve or it might be multiple lines dropped from ever to crawl space under the house for smaller plexes... 3 or 4 separate lines or more tuning down the side of the building and sometimes from different poles with the apartment building on a corner...

It's the wires no longer used running down from the eves to crawl space or higher floors.

At the hospital it all comes in underground and through conduit to the MPOE mechanical room on the third floor... nothing outside to see and I am always having to provide access to the various providers...

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #168  
Long ago I canceled the traditional land line in favor of a Ooma VoIP.

Today that is the number I give when a vendor demands a phone number but I don't particularly care to be called.

Have the ringer set low. Every week or two I check for voicemail although my phone has a flashing light for that.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #169  
At the hospital it all comes in underground and through conduit to the MPOE mechanical room on the third floor... nothing outside to see and I am always having to provide access to the various providers...
Yes I was referring to residential, generally single use buildings about the ONI, business or multi use locations the terminus always was/is in the equipment room at the "66" series blocks.

/ How many still have a Landline in their home? #170  
Long ago I canceled the traditional land line in favor of a Ooma VoIP.

Today that is the number I give when a vendor demands a phone number but I don't particularly care to be called.

Have the ringer set low. Every week or two I check for voicemail although my phone has a flashing light for that.

I use an app on my smartphone, called Textfree, for that purpose. It provides a local phone number that people can call. Incoming calls are free. Outgoing calls cost money. All texting is free.

I use it when I'm ordering something and they require a phone number. I've also used it when I'm selling something online.

I keep the ringer set to silent, and I'll occasionally get a garbage message on it.