How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn?

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Moles have made my lawn pretty bumpy and after I bounced off the seat while mowing last time, I decided it was time to roll it.

So I bought a lawn roller. It is supposed to weigh about 400 lbs when filled with water. Hooked it behind my riding mower & ran around the lawn for quite a while and noticed very little improvement.

Soil has a lot of clay. It was pretty wet from lots of rain we have been having, but not squishy.

What's it going to take to smooth this out? 50 passes? 100? 200?

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #2  
I would say more weight per SQ ft of contact, can you add extra weight to your roller? blocks, sandbags, logs or whatever and do it just after a good soaking rain

:)

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #3  
MrJimi said:
I would say more weight per SQ ft of contact, can you add extra weight to your roller? blocks, sandbags, logs or whatever and do it just after a good soaking rain

:)

I 100% agree. I had a 36" agri fab that weighed 640lbs, sold it and got the 48" that weighs 910lbs. Both the steel rollers. I also have a custom built roller that weighs 3500lbs. I would say get a heavier one and roll after a good rain, and also pull it around while you mow.

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #4  
First thing to do is get rid of the moles so that the problem isn't constantly recurring.

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #5  
I have had some good results from - core aerating the heck out the area first, then picking up the cores and finally rolling the area a few times. By coring the soil first, it gives the high spots some place to compress to when the roller passes over. aerating first, generally loosens up the area you need to work on..
An excuse to go buy another implement if you dont already have a core aerator yet?:D :D

Another option I've recently been told about is agressive chain harrowing for bumpy areas? I havent tried it myself yet but it does sound like a good option to try too if your yard is very bad? Kind of like heavy duty dethatching but instead of tearing out just thatch, it also tears the soil and levels the area. Maybe more suited to a paddock after the horses have been in there too long?

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #6  
I agree with the poster that said kill the moles first...not an easy task.

I battled moles for 5 years in my old house, trying to protect maybe 1/3 acre of lawn.

I tried smoke canister and poison, with unimpessive results. What I found worked best, and was most satisfying, is the spiked pressure trap. You put this trap stradling a mole run, crush the tunnel right under the trap, and put the pressure plate on the top of the curshed tunnel. The mole come down the run, pushes open the closed tunnel, and 4 spikes from the trap plunge into the ground impaling the mole. Very satisfying because you get a confirmed kill. I had 6 traps when I moved, and during the mole spring offensive I would hav all six covering new tunnels at the border of my lawn.

Once you get the hang of placing the traps, you can very quickley decimate the mole population and you can stop any advances into new territory (find new tunnel, set one or 2 traps along it, and kill the intruder.

As sick as it may sound, I would look forward to checking my traps in the morning before work each day:)

Good luck

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #8  
Sniggle said:
I agree with the poster that said kill the moles first...not an easy task.

I battled moles for 5 years in my old house, trying to protect maybe 1/3 acre of lawn.

I tried smoke canister and poison, with unimpessive results. What I found worked best, and was most satisfying, is the spiked pressure trap. You put this trap stradling a mole run, crush the tunnel right under the trap, and put the pressure plate on the top of the curshed tunnel. The mole come down the run, pushes open the closed tunnel, and 4 spikes from the trap plunge into the ground impaling the mole. Very satisfying because you get a confirmed kill. I had 6 traps when I moved, and during the mole spring offensive I would hav all six covering new tunnels at the border of my lawn.

Once you get the hang of placing the traps, you can very quickley decimate the mole population and you can stop any advances into new territory (find new tunnel, set one or 2 traps along it, and kill the intruder.

As sick as it may sound, I would look forward to checking my traps in the morning before work each day:)

Good luck

Nothing wrong with your method. I had a HERD of Chipmunks invade my kingdom one year. I trapped, shot, poisoned, drowned and stomped on them with my size 14 boots EVERY chance I could get. They riled me up when they ate all my newly planted tulip bulbs and then tunneled into my greenhouse destroying dozens of flats of plants. It took a while, but I reaffirmed my position at the top of the food chain as did you. And that should feel good.

/ How much am I gonna have to roll my lawn? #9  
bontai_Joe said:
First thing to do is get rid of the moles so that the problem isn't constantly recurring.

Just one word on that subject - RODENATOR!