How much grease??

/ How much grease?? #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
I recently received my tiller from Agrisupply.

Apparently it comes without grease in the outboard bearing and the instructions say to add grease.

I've dealt a bit with bearings and grease, and it's been my general experience that when you have enough in there either A) it starts coming out somewhere or B) you feel pressure in the gun (manual pump). I put about 30 pumps into this thing and see no grease and feel no pressure. It does look like it could be a large bearing housing, but that seems a ridiculous amount of grease for a bearing this small!?? It's just a 4' tiller, not a D10...

/ How much grease?? #2  
Would it be purging into the side casing?

/ How much grease?? #3  
Are you sure your grease gun is pumping? Sometimes I'm at the end of my tube without realizing it.

/ How much grease??
Would it be purging into the side casing?

There isn't really a "casing" at that end. Just flat steel with a bearing housing. The end where the casing is doesn't have a grease fitting. It's gear drive and uses an oil bath for that so presumably the bearing is lubricated the same way.

Are you sure your grease gun is pumping? Sometimes I'm at the end of my tube without realizing it.

Both times I disconnected there was a fresh deposit of grease around the nipple.

/ How much grease?? #5  
Well I'm a little confuzzed. Is the 'outboard' bearing out at the far end (chain-drive) end of the gearbox output (which is the input to the chain-drive) shaft or where?

/ How much grease??
LH end is gear drive. RH end where grease fitting is has no in/out-put, it's just a support. There is no chain involved.

/ How much grease?? #7  
LH end is gear drive. RH end where grease fitting is has no in/out-put, it's just a support. There is no chain involved.

Gear drive? Ok. It was a bit fuzzy in the manual I downloaded to look at. Looked like a chaindrive.

RH end is up against the gearbox? So it is the output from that gearbox?

Can you post a picture or three?

/ How much grease??
Not at home right now, but here's a sketch of the layout.
2017-09-12 09.57.37.jpg

/ How much grease?? #9  
When we opened and cleaned the end of ours and regressed it took an amazing number of pumps before it got tight. We lifted the tiller and rotated it while the other guy pumped the grease. It eventually gets tight and you can't pump, outs didn't have any come out anywhere just got firm.

/ How much grease??
When we opened and cleaned the end of ours and regressed it took an amazing number of pumps before it got tight. We lifted the tiller and rotated it while the other guy pumped the grease. It eventually gets tight and you can't pump, outs didn't have any come out anywhere just got firm.

Good to know. Thanks!