How much hydo fluid is left...........

/ How much hydo fluid is left........... #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
How much hydro fluid is left...........

in a tractor, still in the cylinders and elsewhere when you drain the system?

I'm getting ready to do my first hydro fluid/filter change and remembered that the fel, steering and there's got to be other places where the fluid won't drain from. It would seem the fel alone would have quite a bit.

Does anyone lift the fel to try to drain back some of the fluid?

Is the leftover stuff even work thinking about?

Last edited:
   / How much hydo fluid is left........... #2  
I have done it for FELs and backhoes several times. It does amount to a gallon or
2, and that is significant. I am more concerned about the crappy fluid (generic
hydraulic oil) that comes with new hoes. I use branded THF from Chevron, Conoco,
Kubota, or now, ServicePro.

To do it, you need another tractor, or an overhead hoist. I prefer the latter, and
lift while using bungie cords to hold the appropriate valve open.

Obiously, the smallest amt of fluid in the FEL cyls will be when all of them are
retracted. You can calculate what is in there.

/ How much hydo fluid is left........... #3  
'Eventually', after several fluid changes thru the years.. you will get 100% of the old type fluid out and 100% of your new choice [ as long as an old Lightning Fast Chicken Plucker like you remember what he used last time ] in the system. I would not loose any sleep over it.... at your age.... :) The main thing is the clean filters and all the krap you will remove from your sump, sump screen, drain plug magnets, etc....

/ How much hydo fluid is left........... #4  
No worries get what you can out and fill it up

/ How much hydo fluid is left...........
I forgot about the BH retained fluid as well as the FEL. I was thinking about using the synth fluid and didn't want to worry about mixing oem stuff with it.

/ How much hydo fluid is left........... #6  
Id use factory oil while the tractor is under warranty... but its up to you. You could always loosen a hose off the loader and backhoe to get more fluid out.. going to be a lot of air to bleed out though.. still no matter what its gona be tuff to get everything out