How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank?

/ How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank? #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hi guys,

I am seriously considering changing out the oil in my PT425's hydraulic reserve to one that can take higher temperatures without degradation - Blackwell's suggestion to move to synthetic 20W50. Would you be so kind as to tell me how many quarts I would need?

Sincerely,

Rob /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank? #3  
"" 10 gal. or 40 qts. ""

That's what the spec sheet says, but 10 gallons overfills above the dipstick line for the tank on the latest version of the PT-425!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif When hot and on uneven ground the tank spills out the extra!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Fill with 9 gallons. Use the PT until the tank is hot. Add more fluid to the correct level on the dipstick. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank? #4  
The extra gal is probably in the hoses pumps ext. that would not be drained from the tank drain. When and if I do mine I want to drain all the fluid including the system fluids. Maybe Blackwell can chime in here sinse he has actually done it.

sg

/ How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank? #5  
I did this about a year ago. I tried 10W30 moble one at first, but then starting adding the 20w50 as needed. No problems so far. It seems to have a little more torque, but I never measured it.

/ How much oil in the PT425 hydraulic tank? #6  
I'm sure there are other ways, but the one Terry recommended was to drain all the oil from the tank, then put 5 gallons (in the 20 gallon 1845 tank) of the new synthetic and run it enough with each implement to make sure the synthetic has run through each motor and cylinder. Then, drain and discard the mixture in the tank and fill the tank with the new synthetic. The result will be minimal dilution of the synthetic.
I haven't done it yet, but doubt I'll be able to bring myself to throw away 5 gallons of synthetic, even if contaminated with a bit of dyno oil. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif