how to drive over your plow

Attachments

• truck wreck 001.jpg
    truck wreck 001.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 1,786
   / HOW NOT TO PLOW A ROAD #2  
Hopefully a few fillings in teeth didn't need reattaching.....Ouch...:(

/ HOW NOT TO PLOW A ROAD #3  
It can happen quick. I was plowing with a Cat 140G grader and a 12' Bros one way plow and had it dig in on a gravel road. I didn't fold it over but had the wheels 5' in the air before I got stopped. I knew the road changed from pavement to rock and was going very slow when it happened.

Dan

/ HOW NOT TO PLOW A ROAD #5  
My dad used to tell the story about taking a ride across the other lanes when a corner of the plow hooked on a railroad rail at a crossing. It happened in the early 60's and he would plow for the state of Idaho Highway Dept. during the winter as he worked for the Forest Service in the summers. This was on US 10 (now I-90) thru North Idaho. One night they asked him to go up to Lookout Pass to help as he normally plowed a section further west. On the trip to Lookout (20 miles or so), US-10 had several rail crossings. One in particular was at an angle to the direction of travel (not perpendicular or straight across) as the road, river, and railroad wind up a valley. As he came to the crossing he raised the plow up off of the road surface, but there were some frost heaves just before the tracks. As the truck went over the frost heaves, a corner of the plow dipped and hooked on the rail. With the momentum of the truck (dump truck with a sander/spreader body in the bed) and the plow hooked in the rail it shot him at an angle across the other (oncoming) lane (US10 was only 2 lanes at that point). Luckily no one was coming the other way and he was able to get it stopped before the edge of the road which was the river and a railroad bridge. He claims that they had to pry his butt off the seat from the pucker factor! He said they had to fix the cutting edge bit and the corner of the plow but no major damage. He also said that he also always slowed to almost a stop at that rail crossing from then on.

/ HOW NOT TO PLOW A ROAD #7  
One of our drivers did that a few years back, and a nearby township did it last year. It is not caused by the plow buckling, what happens is a good hard shock knocks the plow off the truck [stab lock or drop pin hitch], then the truck crashes into the plow and literaly runs it over. Seen it a couple times, ugly stuff....... but it can happen to the best of us.

/ HOW NOT TO PLOW A ROAD #9  
Spent 14 years plowing for the mdot alot of strange stuff can happen. R.R. Xing Guardrail,Sign posts, Overpasses, Parked Cars,Curbing ,Soft shoulders in the spring,Tired Drivers.You name it .