How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT?

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #11  
If I only need to do something quick I usually don't worry about the brakes on the Hydro tractor.

We have a light grade on much of our property but the tractor will move on me.

I caught myself standing next to the tractor and started feeling my foot under the rear tire, but pulled it out in time. After that I considered what would happen if I actually got stuck with a tire on my foot and couldn't get out and no cell phone with me.

I am trying to be more cognizant of that happening.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT?
^^^^^

I think there's enough "give" in the tire so that you would be able to get your foot out. My original question referred more to automobiles but are applicable in all situations.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #13  
Never use it in the car or suburban. On hills, I'll curb the tires, though. We always used it on the sticks growing up, and even on our last few cars. Not really sure why we don't now. I do use them if I have the vehicle up on ramps, but I also block the wheels with chocks as well.

On the PT425, I always set it, no matter what. It's retractable pins that go through slots in a star shaped wheel on each of the front wheel motors. If it's engaged the machine cannot move. Since I have to step off right between the wheels on either side, it would be too easy to step on the forward or reverse pedals which are on the right and left sides, and run myself over.

Plus, my best friend grown up had a brother-in-law that got killed when the parking brake on a skid steer failed and he didn't keep an eye on it. It pinned him to a dirt pile and crushed his mid-section with the bucket lip. Went to the funeral. That kind of thing sticks with you for life.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #14  
Rarely use it on AT vehicles unless on a slope enough that I know I'll have to jerk the handle, often use it on my manual Trans vehicles when I jump out and leave it running.
Very much wish I had a "parking" brake on my tractor that wasn't a joke. Have to lock both pedals together, then stand on them and then reach down to my right foot to flip a handle to hold the pedal. Then remember to release it. Nope.
Drop the loader and/or rear implement or shut it off and put in gear.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #15  
I almost lost my brand new Duramax. Unloaded a generator on a very steep asphalt driveway. Had truck in 4wd, (auto trans) low. Did not use parking brake. I never do. And thought, being in low gear would keep it in place. Got out and heard a ratcheting noise (parking pawl) , only to see the truck moving backwards. A friend said, he has never seen anyone move so quickly, as I managed to get in and hit the brakes.

It would have gone over a slight cliff only to hit a propane tank and cottage.

I'm guessing that the 4wd low is vaccume operated and not effective with no engine running.

GM offered to look at it, but I didn't want some teenage mechanic tearing into my new vehicle.

I just always kept it in mind and never parked on such a steep grade again.

My parking brake is seized up now, like all my others. Too expensive to repair with those utterly stupid disk brakes on the back. Worth s^$t if you live on back roads! Ticks me off, because except for that, I could have jhad my truck saftied (sp?) recently for just the price of a sticker, if it wasn't for that stupid E-Brake.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #16  
If I had AT (don't), I'd use every time I parked the vehicle just like I do with stick shift. It keeps the pressure off the parking brake gizmo. "P" might not work and has not worked on some vehicles because of the way the lever was designed.

Ralph

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #17  
In the newer cars you just turn the ignition off and the trans. automatically goes to Park with the Emergency Brake engagement.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #18  
GREAT. Glad there aren't too many vehicles in my future as I can see that just another bad reason to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Braking systems and their components do not do well in our Canadian Winter, well, mostly on account of SALT and lately BRINE! There was almost nothing left of my aux drum parking brake on my 08 last summer.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #19  
Work truck gets the parking brake engaged everytime i'm parked and the truck is idling. Doesn't get engaged if it's parked in a parking spot.

Personal truck gets it engaged everytime if my trailer is attached, especially when loading and unloading equipment. I go one step further and chock the tire on the downhill side of the front tires when loading or unloading.

Just running around town or at home I dont engage the parking brake.

/ How often do you use your parking brake on a vehicle with an AT? #20  
I use the parking brake each and every time that I park. Put vehicle in neutral, set parking brake, release foot brake, put vehicle in park. Even on the steepest of hill, I never have trouble getting out of park.

:thumbsup: Just the way you should do it. With the car/truck, I only use it on a incline or at the boat launch. With the Toolcat, it is automatic when you put the lever to neutral, lift the safety arm, or shut it off.