How often to start BX24

/ How often to start BX24 #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
OK - so I have this great tractor that is sitting in the garage waiting for either the snow to fall (to plow it) OR the rain to stop (to dig in the back yard)... yet neither has happened for weeks now...
So - short of putting it in neutral - drinking a bunch of beers - starting it up and "pretending" I'm doing something...
The question is - how often - for how long - at what RPMS - should I be starting the tractor to keep it healthy... should I be driving it around the neighborhood... what's a good pattern to start while I wait for seasons to turn and give her some real work?

/ How often to start BX24 #2  
On my BX2200 I just put a battery tender on it and let it sit all Winter. I don't use it to plow snow. On my L3430 I try to start it every week and let it run for about 20 minutes at 1200 to 1500 rpms. No problems so far :D

Bill

/ How often to start BX24 #3  
Don't worry about. Starting it up just to keep it "healthy" probably does more harm than good. Starting any engine creates moisture in the combustion chamber that can contaminate the oil. Unless you run it under load and get it good and warm so the moisture can evaporate, the moisture will just accumulate each time you start it. Being a diesel, the only way to get it warm is to work it. A fast idle is not good enough. If you do want to start it, at least take it for a spin down the road and put a load on it. Letting it set for 2 or 3 months will not hurt it at all. The only time the engine is wearing out is when it is running so unneccesary running time will not help it last longer. As long as you have fresh oil in it before extended down time the additives in the oil will give it all the protection it needs.

It will probably snow soon anyway and you will be able to give it a good workout. Good luck.

/ How often to start BX24 #4  
Well from having seen a whole bunch of perefectly good trucks with less than 5000 miles on them with totally wornout engines becuse some fool demanded that they be started and run in place a couple of times a week i say start it when you need it or let it set.

/ How often to start BX24 #5  
Got to agree with toolguy and jim there, if the temp gauge isn't going up to operating range just let it sit.Biggest thing that can go wrong is low Battery,if that's a problem your concerned about a tender is the way to go.

/ How often to start BX24 #6  
Use it to go to the store. Full throttle at full speed for a few miles out to warm it up.:D

I drive my kids and nephews around in my 1500. They love to ride in the trailer.

/ How often to start BX24 #7  
fishpick said:
OK - so I have this great tractor that is sitting in the garage waiting for either the snow to fall (to plow it) OR the rain to stop (to dig in the back yard)... yet neither has happened for weeks now...
So - short of putting it in neutral - drinking a bunch of beers - starting it up and "pretending" I'm doing something...
The question is - how often - for how long - at what RPMS - should I be starting the tractor to keep it healthy... should I be driving it around the neighborhood... what's a good pattern to start while I wait for seasons to turn and give her some real work?

Put a fuel stabilizer in the fuel and run the tractor long enough the the stabilizer makes through the entire fuel system. Thats what I do to lawnmowers, chainsaws, stringtrimmers etc. when I know they won't be used for a while. I use Sta-Bil for gas and Power service for diesel. That's all I do After 3-6 months of non use they start easily. The key is the stabilizer.

/ How often to start BX24 #8  
I'd just go buy a Battery Tender at a local bike shop and not worry about it. Better than starting the tractor to charge a battery.

/ How often to start BX24 #9  
redharley said:
Got to agree with toolguy and jim there, if the temp gauge isn't going up to operating range just let it sit.Biggest thing that can go wrong is low Battery,if that's a problem your concerned about a tender is the way to go.
Here are 3 things that can go wrong from just sitting.
1*Most likely and least serious a dead battry.
2* Carb and fuel system gumming up.
3* Most Serious and most Expensive A locked up or frozen engine. I've had that happen to 2 cars and 2 push mowers.

I start stuff once a month and let it run 15 or 20 minutes . Never a problem since I started doing that.

/ How often to start BX24 #10  
LBrown59 said:
Here are 3 things that can go wrong from just sitting.
1*Most likely and least serious a dead battry.
2* Carb and fuel system gumming up.
3* Most Serious and most Expensive A locked up or frozen engine. I've had that happen to 2 cars and 2 push mowers.

I start stuff once a month and let it run 15 or 20 minutes . Never a problem since I started doing that.

You missed the most important one! The clutch may rust to the flywheel resulting in a "Stuck Clutch". Be sure to dog down the peddle and that won't happen.

I would have to say that a locked engine usually occurs when the machine is left out in the rain. Water gets into the exhaust and works its way down to the first open valve into the cylinders. Rust rust rust, the if it turns at all, its hydrolocked and you've bent a rod. Ouch. Or a mouse takes up house keeping in a cylinder. They come out with less damage...

I do agree, either run the machine hard for 2 hours minimum or not at all. You need to get the water out of the engine, the oil, as well as the trans, diff and other hydraulics. In the winter, it's real hard to get the machine hot.

I typically don't touch my L3410 at all in the Wisconsin Winter and after 6 of them it's still purrs like a kitten and starts with the factory battery. I do stick a charger on it in December, January and again in February maybe March if it's a long winter. A battery tender for 25 bucks would probably be smart, but that would be out of character for me.

jb