How should she sell these things?

/ How should she sell these things? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
A woman I know was recently widowed. Her hubby was an aircraft mechanic and a real craftsman with lots of tools and equipment. One of his hobbies was restoring sewing machines. She has about 24 of these. He was very organized and has them all arranged by serial number with boxes of spare parts; the boxes also organized by serial number. He was also in the process of restoring 2 '50's vintage Chevy pickups and has a spare V-8 engine. Also has very expensive tools; not just hobby stuff. Lots & lots of tools.

So how can she get rid of all this stuff? She has already been ripped off by a stranger who came by and she is hesitant to just advertise on Craigslist and have a bunch of people wandering around the shops (there are several rooms).

Any suggestions?

/ How should she sell these things? #2  
Contract a reputable auction company. They have a stake in it. A good one will have online auction as well as in person and will advertise the items in the right places - ie sewing machine collectors forums, magazines, etc.
Have a close friend or family member wade through the details of negotiating with the auction company to make sure she the most (set reserves prices, auction company percentage, etc.)
If not worth enough to interest auction company then you can DIY on Ebay.

/ How should she sell these things? #3  
I was thinking the same thing Dusty said, An auction house that "specializes", would be where I'd go. You want that stuff in front of the right buyers.

/ How should she sell these things? #4  
Also, since that is so niche might look around and see if he has a stack of magazines or journals from a sewing machine collectors association of some sort and see if he was a member. Be sure to advertise in that or contact that association for someone to help with getting out the word / values.

I am a member of something similar for a niche collection of items I have and it is very common for the collection of another member who has passed to be offered for sale or advertised in the journal - usually an article about the member / obituary too if they were known in the collecting cirle.

/ How should she sell these things? #5  
I'd suggest the first step would be to look into his "digital contrails".
Did he frequent any on line sewing machine sites? Aircraft sites?
Those might be the first site to have an auctioneer post to and ask about selling his tools.

Other than that definitely a reputable auctioneer. Unless whomever is selling the stuff KNOWS the value they are doomed to get ripped off.

/edit - as I was composing post #4 was posted. So what he said.

/ How should she sell these things? #6  
Tool will always be worth what they are...but it is my experience that even really old sewing machines are not that valuable...

/ How should she sell these things? #7  
I agree with using an auctioneer. Most know the value of what she should get for the items. Some will put a reserve price on them. A CL ad will usually get people to make lowball offers.

/ How should she sell these things? #8  
I'd suggest the first step would be to look into his "digital contrails".

Good idea. (Unless he had a best friend.) What's that joke: "The definition of a best friend is a guy who knows to delete your computer search history after you die" :rolleyes:

/ How should she sell these things? #9  
There are 2-3 'Estate Auctions' around here every weekend.. I would agree with going this route. While they might take 20% or so, she will have to do very little work, sale it faster, and will prolly get more in the end than a simple CL ad..