how small is too small?

/ how small is too small? #1  

mooch

I am thinking of getting a small one ton excavator. I live on a small hobby farm (12 acres). When we first bought the place (20 yrs ago). I had a Kubota kx-71 and did a lot of work with it to get the place in shape. I eventually sold it because I was only putting 3-4 hours per year on it and would rent one if needed. Well now I am getting older and my back isn't the same as it once was. I have some more projects piling up that I am about to get into but none as big as before. Mainly digging out for small rock walls, planting trees, etc.. All which I can do with a pitch fork and shovel but my back won't like me. I am thinking of a machine the size of a Kubota 008 or bobcat e10. They look like toys but I think they would save me from digging with a shovel and I could get them into some pretty tight spots. I know the one problem with my kx-71 was its size. There were a few times it was too big for my little place. Anybody have experience with these little machines? My ego wants a bigger one but not sure if I need it.

/ how small is too small? #2  
What will be the total cost, time and suffering to repair the back you have, if you can?
That's how I partially justified to myself my backhoe.

/ how small is too small? #3  
If you can let the jobs pile up and rent an overground shovel to do all of them in a weekend, you might be a lot better off financially. However, if the finances aren't the issue and you back is, then having a small one close by will take the urge to try to do something using a shovel instead of waiting on the rental weekend to do it.
David from jax

/ how small is too small? #4  
I am thinking of getting a small one ton excavator. I live on a small hobby farm (12 acres). When we first bought the place (20 yrs ago). I had a Kubota kx-71 and did a lot of work with it to get the place in shape. I eventually sold it because I was only putting 3-4 hours per year on it and would rent one if needed. Well now I am getting older and my back isn't the same as it once was. I have some more projects piling up that I am about to get into but none as big as before. Mainly digging out for small rock walls, planting trees, etc.. All which I can do with a pitch fork and shovel but my back won't like me. I am thinking of a machine the size of a Kubota 008 or bobcat e10. They look like toys but I think they would save me from digging with a shovel and I could get them into some pretty tight spots. I know the one problem with my kx-71 was its size. There were a few times it was too big for my little place. Anybody have experience with these little machines? My ego wants a bigger one but not sure if I need it.
I don’t see how you can you possibly justify the cost of owning an excavator to use on a 12 acre property. I can hire a bigger machine than that, with an operator, for $150 an hour. How many holes can you dig on 12 acres before you’ve destroyed the place?

/ how small is too small? #5  
i had a komatsu pc12 that weighed about 2200, i used the hell out of it. Overall it was always beyond its capacity but always got the job done. I finally sold it when i started breaking things that had been too worn from overuse. I replaced with a komatsu about double the weight. Like any machine it is always easy to overuse but there is a point where your common use is acceptable. I still love its size for ability to get in tight spots, but its big enough to lift most things and can rip out ok sized roots stumps, plus it is easily transportable. When i eventually replace it will probably not be with anything larger. BTW, I used it commercially but also to develop 5acres. if all you use an excavator for is to dig holes you are missing many uses. I truly use mine more than any other equipment i own. couple it with a grading beam and thumb and it becomes indispensible.

/ how small is too small? #6  
many years ago I had the Bobcat 442 and used it lots for power, gas and water, digging footings and drilling holes for posts, as age got the better and it had no cab I bit the bullet and went with a new E32, cab heat and air, must say I love it and even though I only put 20 hours a year unless something comes up on the 80 acre yard its ready and willing to tackle any job I put it to, one regret is going a smaller machine it just takes longer to do the task

for me it was both doing a job I could no longer do as age restricted and the advantage its around when needed, rented a few over the years and yes its cheaper but then add the wait and rush to get the job done in the time rented

/ how small is too small? #7  
I've had my K008-3 for 2yrs now and love it!!. I use it around our 3 acres to plant trees,clear garden spaces,redo landscapes ideas,etc. Sure it's small,but fits in my workshop,didn't have to build a special building for it. Larger excavator would be fun, but this K008-3 fits all the things I do around my property and I've developed more friends that need things done as well. Everyone needs are different.....

/ how small is too small? #8  
I have been checking these out. They are made in China but have a lot of upgraded parts they’re about 10 grand brand-new. This guy has a ton of videos showing them. For that money doesn’t seem like it would be too bad if it would hold up. For about 17 you can upgrade it to a diesel motor a bit more weight in a little bit more reach.
IMG_2581.jpg

Look up Groundhog excavator on YouTube it will give you a pretty good idea about them. You’re going to start seeing these things everywhere.

/ how small is too small? #9  
I don’t see how you can you possibly justify the cost of owning an excavator to use on a 12 acre property. I can hire a bigger machine than that, with an operator, for $150 an hour. How many holes can you dig on 12 acres before you’ve destroyed the place?
Why does it need to be “justified”? You want something, get it. If you cant afford it, work harder.

/ how small is too small? #10  
At the time I bought my kubota kh-41 (3500lb) I owned 3.5ac. My "justification" was I had a failing septic and it along with another leachfield on the property would need to be repaired.

Well before I even got to repairing that septic it prety much alreaty paid for its self. It's odd how when you have a tool you can easily find jobs for it.

We have since buried all gutter down spouts, done major drainage work, put up a pole building, removed stumps, moved countless objects I cant lift..along with putting in a septic.

Shortly after we bought a piece of recreational land, I put a driveway through a swamp, put in a 750ft driveway, cleared a large site for a cabin and cleared trails.

I suspect this $8500 machine did at least $35,000 in just rental fees. I put 800hrs on it in 3 years. The average 8hr micro EX rental is about $350.

800hrs÷8hrs in a day=100 days
100days÷$350=$35,000
$35,000-$8500 original cost=$26,500 over renting.